Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best setting for sport for the Canon 7D EOS

rodrigf2
Apprentice

2 REPLIES 2

cicopo
Elite

You'll need to be more specific on the sport & whether it's shot indoors, outdoors in good light or in the evenings in poor light. Some sports require fast shutter speeds while others need slow shutter speeds & great panning skills.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I typically think of sports as a shutter-speed priority target.  Either I want a fast shutter to "freeze" action or in some sports I want a deliberately slow shutter (while tracking the subject) to blur the background (e.g. think motorsports) and "imply motion".

In any case, using your Tv mode would usually be a good start... but there's not "just do X because it always works".

If you're using continuous shutter to rapidly burst through shots, you may want to use JPEG (instead of RAW)  because it wont fill the buffer (shoot in RAW and you'll find you can only shoot so many frames before the buffer fills and the camera massively slows it's frame-rate because it can't take another shot until the camera can get an image saved to the card to reclaim the buffer space in memory.)

You will likely want to change the focus to "AI Servo" so that the camera continues to adjust focus as the subject distance changes.

If your sport is played on an open field (consistent/uniform lighting across the field) then you can use manual ISO and manually set shutter and aperture.  If your sport involves rapidly changing lighting (e.g. think running marathon where subjects may move from shadows to sun rapidly) then you may prefer Tv and set the ISO to 'AUTO'.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements