Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best Speedlite for EOS 6D?

wgeoghegan
Contributor

20 REPLIES 20

@wgeoghegan wrote:

Good comment. I am perhaps a slightly advanced amateur photographer.

Canon did not recommend any flash on their pages for the EOS 6D.

I do not have much experience with flash photography and was a little awed by the technical descriptions of what I was reading. So, I thought I might learn from the forum. The good thing is that I have learned and will return for more help in the future.

Thanks.

I would start small, a single flash or two, and spend some time reading the Strobist blog; a TON of information on there.  Shoot, and shoot some more, and you'll learn what works for you, what doesn't, what you need and what you don't.

As said above, there is no best flash for all people and needs.  The 600ex-RT is an impressive flash, but unless you have at least 3 (or 2 and a transmitter) it doesn't do much that other flashes can't.  And you can get pretty much all the same function going the third party route.  Despite Yongnuo's tainted name online, the majority of the people that dismiss the brand have never even owned one, much less had one fail on them.   I have 3, and use them, with my Yongnuo triggers, with my Canon flashes all the time.   I probably shoot off-camera flash 95% of the time, and I've never had a single issue with any of my setup.   "best" is a relative term, and for some people cost weighs heavily into that equation.   Some also prefer the flexibility that third party options offer, not being pigeon holed into only using 600ex-RT to sustain your network.   I could even nitpick and point out that third party flashes allow second curtain sync, something the might 600ex-RT can't do off-camera.   Not saying it isn't a great flash, but simplifying things into "best" and "less than best" overlooks the details, and sometimes it's the details that mater.

It is so easy to over-think this. The key words are "best" and "for EOS 6D." "Best" in this context is not an arcane and abstract philosophical construct. The answer really is "600EX-RT." Made by Canon for Canon cameras. Hifgh quality, plenty of power, integrates with the camera's menu system, excellent battery life with Eneloop 2400 mAh cells.

Cons: when the specification is "best...for EOS..." there are no cons.

For someone who can only afford one Speedlite, or who wants to start with just one before moving to multiple lights and/or radio remote, a Speedlite works just fine on-camera with either ceiling bounce or a light modifier such as a Gary Fong diffuser or a small, on-flash softbox http://www.lastolite.com/product/0/LL%2BLS2420JM/_/Joe_McNally_Ezybox_Speedlite_Plus.

Bottom line for "best" and "EOS 6D" >> Canon 600EX-RT.

@Davoud wrote:

Cons: when the specification is "best...for EOS..." there are no cons.

I disagree.  I consider cost to be an attribute of any material good, and weigh that into my analysis of "best".  Simply comparing the specs of two things isn't suffient in my opinion; context, application, utilization all play a role.  You're welcome to your definition and conclusion of "best", but I am to mine as well.

I like the idea that my Yongnuo flashes are of an ".. arcane and abstract philosophical construct". Very cool! Smiley Wink

@ cale_katI think that you missed the key word NOT.

You consider cost to be an attribute... That's fine, nothing wrong with that. But the OP didn't mention cost, only "best." I took him at his word. Now, if he wants to know "What is the best Speedlite for EOS 6D that I can buy for less than $300" then that requires a different answer. Why turn the question around to suit one's own prejudices rather than simply answer it as it was asked? OP os a bright giuy who knows how to find prices and choices on the web.

It shouldn't need saying, but what I write and say represents only my opinion, and not an ex cathedra statement of absolute truth. I am an atheist, and I do not believe that there is an entity in the Universe that makes absolute pronouncements.

Regards,

David

Here's what I think is best. I think it is best to match the tool to the job. You can dance around semantics till the cows come home but when a person asks, essentially, "What is best for me?", (I won't argue that the title sounds like a polling question) I thought and still believe that there's a living, breathing, photographer behind the title that has perferences, habits, needs, and desires.

How can you match a tool to a job if you don't know what the job is? Asking questions isn't meant to "turn the question around to suit one's own prejudicies.." it's meant to form the basis for making an informed and considered suggestion.

BTW I freely admit to being a horrible speller and I'm trying to break my habit of editing my posts to correct this. 🙂

@Davoud wrote:

But the OP didn't mention cost, only "best." I took him at his word. Why turn the question around to suit one's own prejudices rather than simply answer it as it was asked? OP os a bright giuy who knows how to find prices and choices on the web.

Because, as I said, I consider cost, context, and application when I consider best.  I’m not turning anything around to suit my own prejudicies, I’m providing an opinion that the OP asked for.   The OP is just getting into flash photography, doesn’t mention any anticipated uses, doesn’t indicate if s/he wants off-camera flash or multiple flashes, etc.  If you’re going to use a single flash, on-camera, the 600ex-RT is a gross waste of money.  All those attributes you mentioned can be done by pretty much every other flash.  Albeit at slightly lower max power.

Based on the OP’s question I’m assuming s/he is completely new to flash photogray and doesn’t know any of this, which is why I mention it.  Don’t berate people for providing more than single sentence answers on here, that’s the whole point of these chat forums.

berate

Davoud
Enthusiast
Best for late-model Canon DSLR's, not cheapest. As many Canon 600EX-RT's as you need, and one Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT so that you are not restricted to on-camera use.

That said, on-camera flash need not be a complete disaster. You'll get the flat facial modeling and harsh shadows, but you won't get red-eye because there is sufficient distance between the flash head and the optical axis. Important Tip: the larger the light source, the softer it is. So make your camera-mounted Speedlite much larger by attaching a Gary Fong diffuser or a Speedlite soft box, maybe from Lastolite. Here's a puppy picture that I made with a 600EX-RT on-camera with a Gary Fong diffuser: https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/10557083484/in/photostream . Even lighting, no harsh shadows, a pleasing photo; a snapshot that is much better than the average snapshot.

Enjoy!

David

That is one sweet little dog. Nice photo too.

Thank you for the reccomendations.

Announcements