Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best Speedlite for EOS 6D?

wgeoghegan
Contributor

20 REPLIES 20

ScottyP
Authority

The best flash is any one that is not on top of the camera.

I would look into getting a radio-triggered flash, or 2 or 3. A Speedlite on top of the camera can be ok if you are able to bounce off of a white wall or low ceiling but if you shoot your subject straight-on you will get 1.) ugly shadows behind the subject, 2.) a flat, 2-dimensional looking subject, and 3.) glowing red eyes.  Except for emergencies, or easy bouncing locations, or for outdoor mid-day fill light (which works pretty good), you do better with the flash/flashes off camera. 

Canon has the 600 series flashes that are radio triggered, either by another 600 flash or by the separate radio trigger. I bought the Phottix Mitros Plus (Mitros+) instead because they are a bit less, but because they can do two things the Canon 600 cannot do: 1.) shoot 2nd curtain sync off-camera for moving things on long exposures, and 2.) adjust all the flash head zooms (from 24mm to 105mm) from the master unit or Odin trigger on the camera.

Adorama sells 1 Mitros Plus radio flash with one Phottix Odin trigger for just $549.00 which lets you save a bit (vs. 2 flashes) and still shoot the flash off-camera!

http://t.adorama.com/PH80375.html

If you do not want to spend as much as the cost of multiple 600 flashes, or Mitros+ flashes, then buy less expensive flashes like Yongnuo so you can get multiples.

But you really can't go wrong with the Mitros+ and trigger combo above IMHO. Phottix Odin is a very well respected radio flash and trigger maker, and as mentioned, they do a couple of very useful things that the Canon flashes cannot.  Here's an example of the 2nd curtain sync:  http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/6667/when-should-you-use-a-normal-flash-vs-a-second-curtain...

Good luck!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ScottyP
Authority
Here is a series of simple short videos I found very helpful. He uses only Yongnuo flashes, which are very inexpensive, but his demonstrations would help you if your flashes had built-in radio rather than the separate triggers and receivers he usually uses.

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL26B1BC059BA0EE24
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Thanks for the links to the videos. They are really helpful. I shoot mostly nature at the macro level but I also take portraits.  Some of the portraits are at sites that have challeging lighting requirements.

Thank you for the youtube link! Good info : )

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The words "best" and "Yongnuo" should not be used in the same sentance!   IMHO.   Smiley Frustrated

Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT, now you're talking.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ha! No, I didn't say Yongnuos are the best, though they are beloved by the Strobist community. I am just saying one Canon 600 radio flash alone is $549.00. One 600 flash with the trigger you are looking at $830.00, compared to $549 for one Mitros+ flash and one Odin trigger. Two flashes and a trigger would be $1,380 vs. $950 wi Mitros +.

Not knowing the Op's budget for his hobby, the Canon or even the Mitros might be out of budget to get multiple units, and getting just one 600 alone is pretty much an expensive waste, since you can't use the remote trigger with just a single flash.

If there was a budgetary choice between getting a single Canon 600 or a 3-flash Yongnuo setup, I do think he'd get a lot better results with the 3 flash setup. If he is looking to spend more, I'd recommend a 2 or 3 unit Phottix setup. And save a few bucks for the light stands and shoot-through umbrellas. 🙂
Scott

cale_kat
Mentor

I think the way the question is phrased is telling. Saying best for a camera gives a lot of weight to the camera in question but little to the photographer behind the camera. I think what ebiggs1 is saying is that the Yongnuo flash would not be best for him and what ScottyP is saying is that the Yongnuo flashes might be best for a different photographer.

Take your pick among flashes but don't ascribe too much value to what the camera thinks. 🙂

Good comment. I am perhaps a slightly advanced amateur photographer.

Canon did not recommend any flash on their pages for the EOS 6D.

I do not have much experience with flash photography and was a little awed by the technical descriptions of what I was reading. So, I thought I might learn from the forum. The good thing is that I have learned and will return for more help in the future.

Thanks.

Good luck and read up. ScottyP did a good service by mentioning the Strobist community. Search that term and you'll be able to feed your interest in flash photography for a very long time.
Announcements