cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What did I do wrong?

MrsWolfman
Contributor

image.jpgStill portrait of my son. Using my canon 80d with my canon 50mm lens. Golden hour and settings were 180 / 4.0 /250 and my image is blurry when blown up.

Shutter speed to slow?

Help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I'm pretty sure that the reason the focus may not be as sharp as you'd hoped is two-fold.

One, the shutter speed is fairly low, only about 1/80 of a second.  Camera shake may be an issue.  The shutter speed isn't really fast enough to freeze any motion that your son may have made when the shutter fired, either.

Two, if you used the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens, it lacks Image Stabilization to remove camera shake.  That is a pretty good lens, once you learn what it can and cannot do.  Just use a fast shutter with it.  I like f/2.8 aperture for that shot, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

ScottyP
Authority

Using flash in sun is actually great. It would let you equalize your shaded subject with his bright background. 

I would set the center autofocus point only, and of course put that point on the subject's face.  If you let the camera choose which of the focus points to use it may choose the wrong thing to focus on. 

Yes, a faster shutter would be good for avoiding hand shake blur. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@MrsWolfman wrote:

image.jpgStill portrait of my son. Using my canon 80d with my canon 50mm lens. Golden hour and settings were 180 / 4.0 /250 and my image is blurry when blown up.

Shutter speed to slow?

Help!

What did you do wrong.

You had the car in the background.

You have a backlit subject with no fill flash so the background is blown out.

And you pixel peeped the photo zooming into 100%, which is like watching as 70" TV from 18" away and worried that it is soft.

The biggest issues with that photo are not whether it is sharp or not.

MrsWolfman
Contributor
Wow...that was a little harsh. Thank you for your input though. As someone who has just started trying to take better pictures and is slowly learning that was a little rough but I put it out there.

@MrsWolfman wrote:
Wow...that was a little harsh. Thank you for your input though. As someone who has just started trying to take better pictures and is slowly learning that was a little rough but I put it out there.

Yes, it is harsh. 

But, the reality is that long before you worry if the photo is sharp enough or not, there are other things that impact the photo much more than the sharpness.

By the way the photo is plenty sharp, get an 8 X 10 print done for $3 at Walmart and you'll see that it isn't sharpness you need to worry about. 

If you posted the photo and simply asked how to make it better, no one would have mentioned the sharpness. 

They would have mentioned the things I did.

Another thing you might try a larger aperture (smaller f/number) to help blur out the background even more.

@MrsWolfman wrote:

"Harsh" isn't the right word. It was critical, but that's what you asked for. Look at the title you gave this thread; it isn't "How great a photographer am I?" You'd be wasting your time here if all you were looking for was praise. We're all in this together, and we're all trying to make each other better. Those who have to be stroked are off somewhere talking to their headshrinkers.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

MrsWolfman
Contributor
Thank you so much for your reply! I greatly appreciate your kind input.

ScottyP
Authority

Using flash in sun is actually great. It would let you equalize your shaded subject with his bright background. 

I would set the center autofocus point only, and of course put that point on the subject's face.  If you let the camera choose which of the focus points to use it may choose the wrong thing to focus on. 

Yes, a faster shutter would be good for avoiding hand shake blur. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements