cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What camera to buy?

BenBizzy
Apprentice

I have a Cannon rebel and want to upgrade to a low end professional camera. I would like to be in the $1,000/$1,200 range, Everey camera in that range has video capabilities that I don't not want. My logic is why spend money on a feature I do not want and can that money  be better spent towards the quality of the camera instead of video capabilities. Can anybody help? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

PatrickE
Apprentice

You might want to look at a used Canon 5D original/classic. They go for about the $500.00 - $900.00 range depending on the number of clicks and condition. Canon no longer makes this camera but they still do repairs. It is a full frame camera so if you have any EF-S lenses they will not work on the 5D. You'll need an EF style lens. 

I went from the Rebel XT to a 5D and never looked back.

Hope this helps.

Pat

cicopo
Elite

What are your photographic interests? If you're thinking about sports or fast paced action you'll need a camera with fast AF response. If it's landscape, people & general stuff you can get by with many of Canon's offerings, and you may be able to get the 5D + a really decent lens (both used) or possibly a 5D2 which are coming down in price depending on # of clicks, physical condition & number in any given area that are for sale. If it's to shoot fast paced action a pro body (1 series) is a far better choice but the 7D can do sports well too. The 1D2n, 1D 3 or 1Ds2 can  AF very fast & fit your price range but they are both heavy & have a real learning curve when it comes to changing settings.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

jfo
Rising Star
Rising Star

@BenBizzy wrote:

Everey camera in that range has video capabilities that I don't not want. My logic is why spend money on a feature I do not want and can that money  be better spent towards the quality of the camera instead of video capabilities. Can anybody help? Thanks

That's a funny way to look at it.  Its inevitable that Canon's building video features into their DSLR's, and at the same time are improving other features such as the sensor, auto-focus, etc.  Older models without video capability are a different value due to the whole/big picture of features and capabilities, not just because they don't have video.

Since you can't just take out the video features, ignore that all current models have video capability and consider your needs versus what they offer in terms of sensor quality, continuous shooting speed, auto-focus, etc, etc. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements