Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

What Canon is doing in sensor development ?

Sony has been kicking Canon's behind in terms of DR.

Frequent Contributor

Re: What Canon is doing in sensor development ?

Looking at the DXO scores and tests for the last few generations of APS-C cameras, I'd say not much. Hopefully the rumored "Big Megapickles" camera will change that. I ended up not getting a 5DIII because there was no real difference between it and the mark II in terms of DR. Hopefully that will change, otherwise, Nikon here I come..........
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for an honest response. I'm also holding out buying Canon gear for now. I hope Canon would do something spectacular in the near future sensor-wise. Get rid of the shadow banding as a start.
jfo
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Agreed that there's always room for technology/products to improve, but rather than staying away completely, this might be relevant? http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/live-in-the-present.html

Frequent Contributor

I don't think anyone is saying to stay away completely.  We've already got our cameras.   What we're saying is that Canon hasn't done anything sensor wise to convince us to move into a new body.   Meanwhile the  Sony Exmor platform is already out there, and has lots of clean, usable dynamic range.   It's certainly not a matter of waiting, it's a matter of jumping ship or not, so to speak. Smiley Wink