cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wet

Hashy80
Contributor
So my canon 80D got wet while hiking and it still takes pictures but nothing else works. I changed the display screen and board yet same results. Any other ideas what could be wrong?
18 REPLIES 18

Did the PCB board itself actually get wet? Corrosive/conductive residue from moisture is pretty obvious, circuit boards are washed after wave soldering so just getting wet with de-mineralized water doesn't kill them but residue will however conductive residue from this sort of moisture event is generally visible.

Failure of controls from excessive moisture exposure is a common issue with Canon camera lines which aren't weather sealed and I suspect that is where the moisture has created gremlins.  The reason just drying often doesn't work is a lot of the residue that is carried in by the moisture remains electrically conductive after it dries.  On a related note, one of the reasons you don't use typical cleaners for the exterior of electronic products is the residue left from them after they dry creates all sorts of problems if it is carried into the inner workings via moisture.  In the 1990s, there was an different variation of the current industrial version of 409 cleaner that was excellent for removing a lot of substances but the residue it left behind was highly conductive.  I used it for some radio restoration where it was the best choice between a cleaner that wouldn't remove what needed removing and one that would remove stuff you didn't want removed but it required a very thorough cleanup with another agent after the 409 product did its thing.

After 6 months, you are looking at doing a full flush of any area that would have gotten significant moisture into it and for an 80D it just really isn't worth the level of time required unless camera repair of a single camera looks like an appealing new long term hobby.  Also you will have the nagging question of whether you have cleaned it thoroughly enough that the next radical temperature change combined with high humidity won't result in an apparently OK repair once again experiencing a fault condition.   I have several cameras but I can't think of any situation where I would be comfortable using one where the probability of gear failure is high due to a known existing risk factor.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hashy80
Contributor
I replaced the camera already with an eos r

Hashy80
Contributor
I'm not sure what got wet that's my point. But I figured I would use it to possibly learn how to work on cameras so if I break it then oh well because it's kinda shot as it is.

"...if I break it then oh well because it's kinda shot as it is."

You are a grown up adult?  It's your dime and you don't need our permission. Go for it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

lly3988
Rising Star

Hi, Merry Christmas.

I have the same problem with my 80D last year. In my case, water did not damage the PCB. Everything works except the rear LCD display which stayed black all the times.

I tethered to shoot by connecting it with a micro USB cable to my PC and wireless connecting it my ipad Pro as well. Remote shooting was enabled. It worked and liveview and playback were normal. I can change menu settings as well.

Send your 80D to Canon repair for a quote. If the cost exceeds that of a used 80D, you don't have to proceed with the repair. Keep the 80D and continue to play with it with tethering and use the money to buy a M50 which has a similar sensor and it performs quite well. ( I paid US$469 to buy a new M50 with kit lens and I guess replacing 80D PCB costs around the same or more.)

If tethering works and you don't want to spend the money repairing it, use it with a smart phone/ipad. Then you have a bigger screen.

@Hashy80,

Believe you have received lots of excellent advice,  When you said, I replaced the LCD and board, I assumed the LCD and PCB.  The LCD has a little (integrated) logic board in its ribbon cable, so I didn't think you were referring to that. 

What we are all trying to tell you is this.  Its not worth it in the long run to throw money at this camera hoping you might "fix" it.  If you want it fixed, send it to Canon

Anything else is a gamble.  50/50.  Not so good odds.  You have a high probability of failure, that's 100% certain.  Many of the guys here are Pros who depend on equipment that functuions reliably.  Others like myself haven't earned their living taking photos, but are passionate about photography.  We aren't going to recommend throwing mud at a wall to see what sticks. 

While I could easily afford 2 or more bodies, I wouldn't waste a minute of time carrying one of questionable integrity or reliability.   

Great you have an EOS R now.  Either "fix" the 80D right, or move forward with a reliable "back up" body.

Happy Holidays

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hashy80
Contributor
Well first of all let's get one thing clear I wasnt asking for permission I was asking what could be possibly wrong with it. Secondly it's not worth sending it out to canon because I can buy a new body for cheaper. I was just curious if it could be the pcb board since I found one cheap on ebay and figured why not try to fix it. That's all!! I did get excellent advice on here and I do appreciate it.

Another nearly miraculous product you might want to try for cleaning electrical contacts, switches and terminals is DeOxit. I've had good results with DeOxit D5 spray on a few projects, but the spray version might be a bit messy to use on a DSLR. Check their website and you'll find several other specialized cleaners in aerosol cans, brush-on and pin-point eye dropper bottles.

Hashy80
Contributor
Oh ok yea I thought about the spray and wasnt sure if it would be to messy or not. I'll check it out thanks!!
Announcements