cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird battery issue canon 60D

MattFilms
Apprentice

Hi, im loaning a canon 60d and it came with a battery grip attached. I then purchased a shoulder rig so had to remove the battery grip for the follow focus to work. However upon removing the battery grip and taking the batteries out of the grip and putting one of them in the camera (they are dot.foto lp-e6) the camera wont even turn on yet if i put the battery grip back on it will...im so confused. there is no battery door on the camera if that makes a difference. If someone could help me out id appreciate it.

Many thanks, 

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

You need the battery door.

There's a micro switch operated by the door that turns the camera completely off, whenever the door is open or removed. (Note: there's a similar micro switch on the memory card door, shuts the camera off completely as soon as that door is opened, too.)

Most grips have a place to store the door, when it's removed to attach the grip. It's a slot the door slips into, on one side of the "upright" post on the grip that fits up into the camera. You might look to see if the battery cover door is there.  Otherwise, I don't know how you'll be able to use the camera without it (or the grip installed).

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

amfoto1
Authority

You need the battery door.

There's a micro switch operated by the door that turns the camera completely off, whenever the door is open or removed. (Note: there's a similar micro switch on the memory card door, shuts the camera off completely as soon as that door is opened, too.)

Most grips have a place to store the door, when it's removed to attach the grip. It's a slot the door slips into, on one side of the "upright" post on the grip that fits up into the camera. You might look to see if the battery cover door is there.  Otherwise, I don't know how you'll be able to use the camera without it (or the grip installed).

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM  

I think i actually love you. This problem has caused me so much grief over today. and i have found the battery door 😄

Announcements