cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning on low card space

brianleighty
Apprentice

I originally posted this on canonrumors.com (http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=13766.0) and someone suggested I mention it here as a requested feature. Here's my original message.

So I just shot a wedding last night. I got to try out the Sigma 35 1.4 and a 5D Mark iii. Great lens BTW. We were all setup for the exiting shot with sparklers. Right as they came out the doors my card reads full. Luckily my wife got the shot but is it just me or does anybody else find it frustrating there's no warning when you're running low on card space? I come from the video world and pretty much every camera I've ever shot with has had a warning message when you get to around a couple minutes of space left on the tape/card. It seems like such a simple thing and especially with the 5D mark iii now having a section for warning messages, this seems like an obvious thing to put in there. I took a look at magic lantern again today but didn't see anything like this in there. It'd be great if at least it supported it. Before somebody says it, I do realize that the 5D mark iii has 2 slots and that I could of selected the option to have it start recording to the other card but being that it was a wedding, I decided to have it record JPGs in case there was an issue with one of the cards I was recording on. I had extra cards in my pocket but in moments like that you don't have time to switch cards. Sigh... live and you learn I guess. Just frustrating that a $3000 camera can't give a simple warning for something so important as card space.

4 REPLIES 4

diverhank
Authority
With all due respect, it tells you how many shots you have left on the LCD display. If you don't look there, do you think you would look at a warning?
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

The issue is I normally have the LCD off since there is no sensor to turn it off when I put my face up to the viewfinder. I would think the warning would be either on the viewfinder or it could force the back lcd screen on and have the count blinking or something similar. Yes I would look at a warning.

Or you can check before every major event too. I'm also wedding photographer. Never miss a shot because of card space, always check, if I don't have at least 50 shot before the a major event, I'll just change the card.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I don't disagree with you there and until this gets added (if it ever does) I'll just have to get in the habit of checking that but it would be a useful feature for avoiding situations like this when you're busy focusing on getting your settings setup.

Announcements