cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning Symbol 7Dii

Isac
Enthusiast

I have a warning symbol for the spot metering on my screen (7Dii). Has anyone else seen this and if so can it be rectified?

Spot_Focus_Error_7Dii.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There is a menu setting that controls which "warning alarms" that are allowed to light up the exclamation mark.  Check it.  I would think that you have one or more settings causing a warning, especially if you see this in the viewfinder, too.

If I had to take a wild guess, it could be caused by using 1pt AF mode and selecting an AF point other than the center one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Okay, the wild guess was wrong.  I pulled out the 7D2 and checked the menu setting. 

ACAAC7C9-ECD9-4FC8-8312-DC93164673E1.jpeg

I suggest that you do the same.

The only time that I use Spot Metering is on a tripod.  Otherwise, I use Evaluative Metering,  which is the default mode.  It works far better than many people realize.  The key is to have an active and locked AF point when the shutter is fired, and camera wil meter the scene at the locked AF point.

Most of the reasons that people cite to use Spot Metering are actually better arguments to use Evaluative Metering.. 

I think the reason for the warning when Spot Metering is set is because of the scenario that I described in my wild guess.  You can easily focus here, and meter the scene over there.  If you use Spot Metering with any Canon DSLR that is not 1D Series, you had better make sure to only use the center AF point.

This is the fix, so thanks for your reply. I use spot metering a lot because of the style of photography I do - mainly wildlife so I need the animals and birds in focus and exposed correctly, Cheers.

@Isac wrote:
This is the fix, so thanks for your reply. I use spot metering a lot because of the style of photography I do - mainly wildlife so I need the animals and birds in focus and exposed correctly, Cheers.

Thanks.

Unless you are using only the center AF point, either Spot AF or 1-pt AF, then I do not recommend using Spot Metering when shooting any type of action photography. Like I said above, most of the arguments that are presented to use Spot Metering are actually better arguments to use Evaluative Metering.

Spot Metering only works in one area/spot in the OVF.  On the other hand, Evaluative Metering can function the same way all over the OVF.  The only advantage you might gain from Spot Metering is the smaller sample area, which becomes a distinct disadvantage when you are tracking moving subjects beause the sampled area keeps changing.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Isac reset your camera. Menus, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings.  You set something and didn't realize it or what it is.  Best to just start over.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Isac reset your camera. Menus, tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings.  You set something and didn't realize it or what it is.  Best to just start over.

It should be pretty obvious what was set.  Spot Metering mode has been set.  That is why the icon is being shown where it is.

If the option is selected to display the alarm when using Spot Metering, thenit causes the icon to appear in both the OVF and the Quick Menu screen.

I had already reset and it still showed the warnings. @Waddizzle solved the issue, thanks for replying.

"I had already reset and it still showed the warnings."

If you had done a full reset it should have cleared off spot metering as it is not a default setting.  You must have reset spot metering after the reset. And, that should have been your clue!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements