cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to upgrade to dslr to take horse racing action photos, need recommendations

ilzho
Rising Star

Hello:

For years I have had my Powershot G10 to take general pictures and it has worked well.

I am a huge fan of horse racing and I'm lucky to have a track, very close by. 

I want to be able to 'freeze' a horse and jockey racing among other types of photos.

My G10 cannot take these kind of pictures 'well'.

I am not looking to become a professional as I am not an expert at all, but I would love to have some proper equipment to take realitive good photos of horses racing/Equine. Yes this takes a lot of knowledge and practice/experience. All of which I do not have enough of.

I am looking to stay in the Canon family and would like some recommendations on a good DSLR camera and some lenses.

My budget is about $1500.

Any help and guidance is apprecaited.

Thank you,

David

79 REPLIES 79

@ilzho wrote:

image.jpegSo my brother felt sorry for me, haha and told me to learn on his dslr camera first. 

Yes its its not what we are talking about, but it's better than what I already have. 

The Canon XSi uses a DIGIC III processor which is much less powerful than current dSLRs. However, it is a good camera fo help with your transition to dSLRs. And, you can use the EF-S 55-250 IS STM lens with it. You can start with the 'running man' sport scene mode, but, pay attention to what settings it is using, so you can get away from the scene modes and take more control of the camera. Be sure to read the full manual, yes it's dry, but it has a lot of good information too.

The lens standing up is the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens.  Although it is a macro lens it can serve as a mid range tele. Don't let the word macro mislead you.

I don't recognise the lens mounted on the XSi right off but I don't use ef-s lenses very often.  Actually since I am not doing any of the 'DSRL 101' classes anymore, I don't use them at all.

Use what your opportunity has offered and learn. Using and doing is the best teacher.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"The lens standing up is the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens." 

No, it is not.  That is not an "L" Series lens.  It appears to be the regular old 100mm macro.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"That is not an "L" Series lens."

You are correct. I am just used to typing and L since they are all I use.  You got your 'gold star' for the day.

However the sense of the reply is still valid.   L or no L.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, this is what my brother told me:

Read the manual a few times, then read it again.

Then slowly learn the camera, functions, your surroundings, etc. take pictures.....and then when you are overly frustrated, read the manual again, hahaha......

He also said as well as you guys mentioned, ignore the macro writing on the 100mm lens, he said I can use as a mini telephoto lens.

He also said since I live close to a road where cars speed down, he said it will help me learn to track, pan and take pics of speeding cars.....

I am lucky to have him close by as he was a hot shot in photography at NCSU many many years ago, so I can ask him lots of questions when he has time to answer.....

And you guys have been great as well.....

Bottom line: read the manual, research the Internet anything you don't understand fully and practice, practice, etc.....

"since I live close to a road where cars speed down, he said it will help me learn to track, pan and take pics of speeding cars....."

I've posted that idea here several times. Panning takes practice but once mastered it's a powerful skill.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@ilzho wrote:

Yes, this is what my brother told me:

Read the manual a few times, then read it again.

Then slowly learn the camera, functions, your surroundings, etc. take pictures.....and then when you are overly frustrated, read the manual again, hahaha......

The "macro" writing on some lenses, merely tells you the MFD, Minimum Focusing Distance, for the particular lens.  Reading the manual is good advice.  The camera was various operating modes, some designed to simplify using the camera.  There are "Basic" modes for simplified shooting, and "Creative" modes for advanced users.

Most users take their very first pictures in the green "A" mode, because that is what the manual tells you to do.  The Basic modes will teach you very little about the nuances of using the camera.  Look up " exposure triangle " on the web.

I would advise using the Creative "P" mode, to learn how to use the camera.  Take careful note of the camera settings [shutter speed, f/stop, ISO] that the camera uses.  Note how they change if you turn off "Auto ISO" and use a specific value.

As gain experience, use the Creative modes, "Av" and "Tv", to gain better understanding and insight about the Exposure Triangle.  Once again, take note of the camera settings the camera decides to use.  If you feel brave, change to "M" mode and try to take the same shot with the same settings that the camera just used.

Good luck.  If you're having fun, then you're doing it right.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ok, so I finally made it to the track to see if I can start to practice what i've learned in the manual.

It's official, it's hard :).

You all have given me great advice and there are still 100's of things that I do not understand, but hopefully with more practice it will start to sink in. Trying to stop action and motion blur, is challenging.

Here are a few photos. I used a Canon Rebel Xsi and 100mm lens that my brother let me use for the first time.

IMG_5545.jpg

IMG_5435.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5900.jpg

I don't know much about horse racing & from the different photos I've seen on forums I think a fully frozen frame is acceptable because hoofs will be stopped mid stride & that still implies speed but your on the right path with the 3rd & 4th photo if your intention is to shoot a style where motion blur is clearly caused by the fast pace your subject is at.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

It's hard as you only have 5 seconds as they race by.......

Announcements