cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to upgrade to dslr to take horse racing action photos, need recommendations

ilzho
Rising Star

Hello:

For years I have had my Powershot G10 to take general pictures and it has worked well.

I am a huge fan of horse racing and I'm lucky to have a track, very close by. 

I want to be able to 'freeze' a horse and jockey racing among other types of photos.

My G10 cannot take these kind of pictures 'well'.

I am not looking to become a professional as I am not an expert at all, but I would love to have some proper equipment to take realitive good photos of horses racing/Equine. Yes this takes a lot of knowledge and practice/experience. All of which I do not have enough of.

I am looking to stay in the Canon family and would like some recommendations on a good DSLR camera and some lenses.

My budget is about $1500.

Any help and guidance is apprecaited.

Thank you,

David

79 REPLIES 79

it's just about impossible for the track (or any sports facility) to stop people from taking photos thanks to cell phones & pocketable cameras BUT they can stop people who have what they feel is "pro gear". Best to check what they say be asking at the ticket booth or someone you know is staff. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

it's just about impossible for the track (or any sports facility) to stop people from taking photos thanks to cell phones & pocketable cameras BUT they can stop people who have what they feel is "pro gear". Best to check what they say be asking at the ticket booth or someone you know is staff. 

That is true at many amateur and professional sporting events.  Have you ever been to a PGA Tour major championship golf event?  I've been to several of them, whenever one comes to my area.  They have a zero tolerance policy.  So, does the USTA, which represents professional tennis.

The PGA Tour will typically have parking for ticket holders some distance away from the golf course, like at a nearby stadium or arena.  Parking is usually free, and they offer courtesy shuttle buses to the gofl course.  Getting on the shuttle bus is where they stop you.  This is your first enccounter with security.

They conduct body and bag searches, just like at the airport,complete with x-ray machines.  Not only do they ban cameras, they ban any cell phone with a camera, which nowadays means almost all of them currently in use. 

If you have something on your person that is on their lengthy list of contraband, then you have two choices.  Do not enter, or leave it at the security gate....and they take no responsibility for any items you may leave behind.  You go through x-ray machines a second time when you get off the bus, too.

Somehow some people manage to sneak something in, mostly disposable cameras from a drug store.  Some even manage smuggle in smart devices, which will be quickly confiscated if you are caught with it, or be dismissed from the premises.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Well, I appreciate everyone's advice on the camera's and the track.

I'll make contact with the track mgmt and the track photographers and let you know what I find out.....

@Waddizzle wrote:

@cicopo wrote:

That is true at many amateur and professional sporting events.  Have you ever been to a PGA Tour major championship golf event?  I've been to several of them, whenever one comes to my area.  They have a zero tolerance policy.  So, does the USTA, which represents professional tennis.

The PGA Tour will typically have parking for ticket holders some distance away from the golf course, like at a nearby stadium or arena.  Parking is usually free, and they offer courtesy shuttle buses to the gofl course.  Getting on the shuttle bus is where they stop you.  This is your first enccounter with security.

They conduct body and bag searches, just like at the airport,complete with x-ray machines.  Not only do they ban cameras, they ban any cell phone with a camera, which nowadays means almost all of them currently in use. 

If you have something on your person that is on their lengthy list of contraband, then you have two choices.  Do not enter, or leave it at the security gate....and they take no responsibility for any items you may leave behind.  You go through x-ray machines a second time when you get off the bus, too.

Somehow some people manage to sneak something in, mostly disposable cameras from a drug store.  Some even manage smuggle in smart devices, which will be quickly confiscated if you are caught with it, or be dismissed from the premises.

Do they tell you all this when you buy the ticket? If not, then it is, one hopes, a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Do they tell you all this when you buy the ticket? If not, then it is, one hopes, a lawsuit waiting to happen." 

Yes, of course.  They do make ticket buyers aware of the list of prohibited items, and security screenings.  The use of metal detectors has become quite common at many major sports venues.  You're not attending an event at Madison Square Garden without emptying your pockets and pasisng through metal detectors.

However, the PGA Tour is particularly focused on prohibiting cameras, of any kind, being used by the gallery.  You go through a second security screening to enter the golf course because not everyone entering arrives via a shuttle bus, so they screen everyone.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@ebiggs1 wrote:
I can't tell what the camera is but the lens looks like a ef 24-70mm f2.8L version one.  She is using a fill flash.  I doubt this is a rig that she uses to shoot the horses while they are racing.

That would be the camera used to take a photo of the horse, owners, and jockey in the winners circle.

Pretty much a guaranteed sell for the photographer.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Another point, the ef-s 55-250mm is not even in the same zip code as the ef 70-200mm f4L.  No ef-s lens is in the same class as an "L" lens. Many reasons.  

The EF 70-200 f/4L IS outclasses the EF-S 55-250 IS STM in maximum aperture, build quality and focus speed. But in terms of image quality they are very close. 

EF-S 55-250 IS STM

EF 70-200 f/4L IS

EF 70-200 f/4L IS

For horse racing there will be no noticiable difference between the two. And since most people (even Pro photographers like yourself) have no idea how good Canon's STM lenses really are, it wont bring attention to itself like a white L lens would. 

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Many reasons.  Also the 7D Mk II is twice the camera of any xxD camera,  It sells for $1500 bucks and you can get it for $1100?  That is a no brainer.  It is what you want.  It is a professional level camera. The xxD series is not.

But the question remains. Any Canon DSLR made today will do a fine job.  Any Canon lens ef-s or "L" or non-L is very capable.  It just comes down to how much you expect and what you want and you requirements are. 

No arguments here, except for the 7D Mk II 'no brainer' part. At $1100 it still is almost twice the cost of the 70D. And it has a much steeper learning curve. For someone moving to their first dSLR in my opinion it is not the best choice. The XXD line isn't the Pro line, but, it is not the entry level line either. Positioned as enthusiast cameras, they are more than capable of Pro results.

image.jpegSo my brother felt sorry for me, haha and told me to learn on his dslr camera first. 

Yes its its not what we are talking about, but it's better than what I already have. 

@ilzho wrote:

image.jpeg

So my brother felt sorry for me, haha and told me to learn on his dslr camera first. 

Yes its its not what we are talking about, but it's better than what I already have. 

That's not at all a bad camera to learn on. It lacks many features of more modern cameras, but in many respects it's not that different. The overall control layout hasn't changed very much, and the 450D's APS-C sensor size is still in widespread use in Canon's product line. If you use it for a while, you'll probably have a better feel for what features would be most important to you, which should help you make a more informed choice.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements