cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to upgrade to dslr to take horse racing action photos, need recommendations

ilzho
Rising Star

Hello:

For years I have had my Powershot G10 to take general pictures and it has worked well.

I am a huge fan of horse racing and I'm lucky to have a track, very close by. 

I want to be able to 'freeze' a horse and jockey racing among other types of photos.

My G10 cannot take these kind of pictures 'well'.

I am not looking to become a professional as I am not an expert at all, but I would love to have some proper equipment to take realitive good photos of horses racing/Equine. Yes this takes a lot of knowledge and practice/experience. All of which I do not have enough of.

I am looking to stay in the Canon family and would like some recommendations on a good DSLR camera and some lenses.

My budget is about $1500.

Any help and guidance is apprecaited.

Thank you,

David

79 REPLIES 79

Thanks for the information and advice, I appreciate it.

The track told me it would be ok, but I'm sure the white lens would raise eyebrows and be frowned upon.

So with the camera information you mentioned, you feel it is more than sufficient for horse racing photos?

@ilzho wrote:

Thanks for the information and advice, I appreciate it.

The track told me it would be ok, but I'm sure the white lens would raise eyebrows and be frowned upon.

So with the camera information you mentioned, you feel it is more than sufficient for horse racing photos?

The person who can get you kicked out is the 'offical' track photographer. They usually have an exclusive contract for all photography at the track. And if your camera catches their eye, they can ask that you be removed.

Yes, the EF-S 55-250 IS STM lens has a little wider zoom range than the EF 70-200 f/4L that extra reach will come in handy. It is a stop slower at the long end, but, that won't have a significant impact on your photography at the track. It has image stabilization, which does help in a number of ways. At some point you'll get to where you want to slow your shutter speed down, to selectively blur some of the movement, (i.e. the background and/or the horses legs) to give the image a sense of motion and action. This is where the IS will be a big help. The EF-S 55-250 IS STM has 4 stop image stabilization with automatic pan detection. The STM focus while not as fast as the USM of the 70-200 is plenty quick for race horses.

I'd lean towards the 70D as far as the camera goes. It's priced right. Is more than capable for your needs, and over the T6i it has micro focus adjustment, which is essential in my book. 

ilzho
Rising Star
Yes, I'd rather not get kicked out.
I do know they have more than one photographer as I see a few walk across the track with their cameras at the finish line.
I can get the following below
Canon EOS 70D 20.2MP DSLR Camera With EF-S 18-55mm Image Stabilized STM Lens
$699
It comes as a kit.
I'll research the additional lens as far as cost.

@ilzho wrote:
I do know they have more than one photographer as I see a few walk across the track with their cameras at the finish line.
I can get the following below
Canon EOS 70D 20.2MP DSLR Camera With EF-S 18-55mm Image Stabilized STM Lens
$699
It comes as a kit.
I'll research the additional lens as far as cost.

The 18-55 IS STM actually has very good image quality. It comes in second to the 17-55 f/2.8, but, not by much. It pairs nicely with the EF-S 55-250 IS STM. Add the EF-S 10-18 IS STM, and the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and you might never buy any other lenses. 

Just notice I keep mentioning the STM version of these lenses. There are other older versions that aren't as good. But, Canon's STM lens line just can't be beat for value (IQ for the $). I think you'll be plesently surprised with the prices.

@ilzho wrote:

Then why don't you talk to some of them and ask what the rules really are? Even if there is some sort of exclusive arrangement, the official photographer(s) may be OK with you, as long as you don't try to sell your pictures in competition with them. Maybe you can even catch on as an unofficial assistent to one of them. At a minimum, you can learn a few things by watching what they do. On the rare occasions when I'm photographing an event that catches the attention of the newspapers, I watch the newspaper photographers whenever I'm not too busy. I figure that as full-time professionals they have to be more experienced than I am; so if I see them doing something, I should probably consider doing it too.

One rule you should always observe is to never get in the official event photographer's way. Of course if you are the event photographer, the rules change, and you can jostle for position along with everybody else.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ilzho
Rising Star
Good idea. I saw one of the photographers walking with a jockey back to the silk room after a race with her camera, I'll post it later.
I don't want to poach on their job/photos. I have no intention of selling my photos either.
I just love the sport, horses, jockeys, fans etc. and want to learn how to properly photograph this sport.
The track is rarely crowded and I always stay at the last turn to try to get fun shots.

"I have no intention of selling my photos either."

Not only is it a problem selling the photos as seen by them, if you take your own you won't buy theirs.  You need to remember it isn't against the law to photograph almost anything.  Where they get you is trespassing.  They can not take or even touch your gear but they can certainly ask you to leave.  I have been on both sides of this issue for years, for decades!

Another point, the ef-s 55-250mm is not even in the same zip code as the ef 70-200mm f4L.  No ef-s lens is in the same class as an "L" lens. Many reasons.  Also the 7D Mk II is twice the camera of any xxD camera,  It sells for $1500 bucks and you can get it for $1100?  That is a no brainer.  It is what you want.  It is a professional level camera. The xxD series is not.

But the question remains. Any Canon DSLR made today will do a fine job.  Any Canon lens ef-s or "L" or non-L is very capable.  It just comes down to how much you expect and what you want and you requirements are. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I don't even know where their photos are posted or not......

But I'm not here to intrude on them, I'm really not. There are other people with cameras as well......

Here is one of the photographers.....

IMG_9065.jpg

I can't tell what the camera is but the lens looks like a ef 24-70mm f2.8L version one.  She is using a fill flash.  I doubt this is a rig that she uses to shoot the horses while they are racing.

A photo like this is not illegal to take. They can not stop you but since it is private property that can ask you to leave. That part is trespassing. I assume it is a private track?  You have to buy a ticket?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, I buy a ticket and bet and lose hahaha....

I love the sport, everything about it....

Yes, I have seen, one 'white' longer lens at the finish line.

I think this camera she is using is for the winners circle, but again, I am not sure and haven't looked that closly.

I will ask the track for the photographers info and try to talk to them and see what they say.....

Announcements