cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WFTPairing not working in Windows 8

mvadu
Contributor

I have 6D and trying to pair it with my computer running Windows-8. It worked once, but after that pairing utility never finds the camera. The C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\WFTPairing\EOSUPNPSV.exe is taking around 40% of the CPU cycles, and stays there.

I reset the camera WiFi settings and now its in the last stage of pairing.

I see this on the camera:

EOS-C78751 pairing in progress. Start pairing software on computer.

On the computer WFTPairing is running, and as mentioned taking huge chunks of CPU. Firewall turned off on my computer. I checked with a UPnP spy utility, and can see 6D on the network, but the Pairing utility seems to not. I tried reinstalling EOS utility multiple times too.

14 REPLIES 14

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Mvadu,

Because of the complexity of the WFT connection, we ask that you contact us for assistance with this.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Well, I tried running the WFTPairing as admin, and it started working. So if you just check "Add WFT Pairing to startup folder" will not work in Windows-8 as it runs under regular access.

Thanks so much. I was having this issue along woth the 6D seemingly crashing my wireless network. Running the WFT as an admin in Win 8 made it work!

I tried this and am still unable to get it to work. I also verified that Universal PnP is setup on both my router and desktop.
6D, 7D, 70-200 f2.82.8 IS mkii, 17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, Various Yongnuo Flashes and triggers

Hi Jonathan. I have to say that despite it originally working, upon trying it again (following to same proceedure running as admin) I can't get it to work now. Seems extremely strange and quite annoying. 

I think I've got it licked...at least until it breaks again...lol.

In my first post, I confirmed that UPnP was enabled on my router (a Netgear WNDR3400). What I didn't realize is that the UPnP settings were configured to check for devices every 30 minutes!! I dropped that down to 1 and was able to connect flawlessly in less than a minute.

I did need to run the WFT Pairing Utility as an admin & did the same when I launched the EOS Utility just to be safe.

When Commodo barked about the new programs being installed, I made sure I answered every query with the response of treating it as an allowed application.

So, for now anyway, it's running like a champ. I'm transferring a full size raw file in about 13 seconds. Woohoo!

6D, 7D, 70-200 f2.82.8 IS mkii, 17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, Various Yongnuo Flashes and triggers

This worked for me! Setting the UPnP Advertisement Period to 1 minute and starting the WFT pairing software as Admin (wasn't installed running as admin). Thanks for the info.

The canon software engineers should take a time to learn the windows 8 user access concepts. It is really bad that you must logged in as admin ("runas" doesn't work) for the installation and that you must run some software as admin...

bazsi
Apprentice

Did you try to disable your antivirus software?

Announcements