cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video taken on Rebel SL2 will not play back on my 80D shows "Cannot playback image" error

SotoSinemas2030
Apprentice

So I have both a Canon 80D and a Canon Rebel SL2. Both of which are pretty similar if not the same when it comes to recording video. I use the SL2 as my B cam and the 80D as my A cam. So I have this issue where if I record a video clip on the SL2 but then take out the memory card and put it inside of my 80D, the 80D gives me the "Cannot playback image" error message (just with video, photos show up just fine). BUT! when I do it the other way around and record on the 80D and then switch the SD card to the SL2, the video plays back on the SL2 just fine. I tested 2 different SD cards and both gave me the same result. One was a 32gb Sandisk Ultra SD card and the other one is a 64gb Sandisk Pixtor SD card. Does anyone know why this happens? is this an issue with my SD cards or is this an issue with the 80D? Please Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The manufacturers really don't anticipate people trying to review images and videos in a camera that were captured by a different model camera so I am not surprised by this incompatibility.  The file protocol is designed to meet two goals, reviewable within the device that created it and the ability to be used by industry standard operating systems and programs. 

Often, but not always, similar models will have slightly different setups and for the sake of image review within the device they may rely upon specific aspects of that device's firmware/software.  As an example I use a 1DX and 1DX Mark II but I have a set of cards for each and would never try to review files from one to the other.  Even though these are very close siblings there are major differences (Mark II has 4K video, two different "auto white" modes, a CF and Cfast slot, etc.)

Personally I would be extremely cautious about moving cards between cameras PRIOR to transferring those files to another storage media.  This is an excellent approach for uncovering the little glitches that often lead to a data loss.

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The manufacturers really don't anticipate people trying to review images and videos in a camera that were captured by a different model camera so I am not surprised by this incompatibility.  The file protocol is designed to meet two goals, reviewable within the device that created it and the ability to be used by industry standard operating systems and programs. 

Often, but not always, similar models will have slightly different setups and for the sake of image review within the device they may rely upon specific aspects of that device's firmware/software.  As an example I use a 1DX and 1DX Mark II but I have a set of cards for each and would never try to review files from one to the other.  Even though these are very close siblings there are major differences (Mark II has 4K video, two different "auto white" modes, a CF and Cfast slot, etc.)

Personally I would be extremely cautious about moving cards between cameras PRIOR to transferring those files to another storage media.  This is an excellent approach for uncovering the little glitches that often lead to a data loss.

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Good to know! I'm still kind of a newbie in the photo/video world (been shooting for only a year) So I'm still getting familiar with these little glitches and tricks. But that is a smart approach when it comes to SD cards. Just ordered some new SD cards so I will use those only with the 80D and leave my other 2 for the SL2. Thanks!

Announcements