cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow photo download by USB with canon 6D

zimo
Apprentice

Hi,

As in topic I have problem with downloading the photos byt the usb. I am using the USB 3.0 port on Windows 8.1. Downlonding 8GB takes a few hours. This is inaceptable.  When I put the SD card directly to the card reader it goes very fast.  BTW my cards is 45/Mbs  fast. So is it normal or maby it is just my model. Anyway to fix it ?

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The most likely cause is a slow USB connection. Try a different USB port; don't use a hub; try a different cable.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I did more testing and just tried to download the photos directly from camera when conected by the usb and it was fast.

The problem is EOS Utility.   Any clues if there can be solution to this? 

It's hard to diagnose a problem involving software and two sets of hardware (camera and computer), there are just too many variables involved.  Maybe someone else can weigh in that had the same issue, but I think the majority of people take the card out of the camera and put it in a card reader.  Connecting the SD card directly to your computers USB bus is as fast as it possibly can.  Adding in your cameras card reader and computers software can only slow things.

Sorry, i know that doesn't answer your question, but it's something to think about.  I highly recommend an SD card reader if you computer doesn't have one.

Ok so is it possible  use the eos utility to manage photo downloads form card reader?

I think the there is not as many factors as you say, because:

downloading from card reader is very fast =  card is ok

downloading from camera coneted by usb without eos utility is fast = usb port is ok, pc is ok, camera is ok

downloading from camera coneted by usb with eos utility is very slow = problem with EOS utility

As you can see it only occures when I use EOS utility. I have tried both with EOS v. 2 and 3

You don't need to use EOS utility at all.  Your operating system (e.g. Windows, whatever Mac uses these days, Linux, etc) can read the files on the computer and put them in a folder of your choosing to be read by whatever photo editing software you use.  Alternately, most photo editing software will import the files for you and put them in whatever filing system you choose.   When I put an SD card into my computer Adobe Lightroom automatically starts up and opens up an import dialog so I can choose what files I want to upload.  It will automatically put it in a folder titled with the date of capture unless I specify otherwise. 

Before I started using Lightroom I just used Adobe Bridge, which is part of Photoshop.  I would manually copy my files from the SD card to the folder of my choice using Windows Explorer.  Then open the files in Bridge and edit in ACR and Photoshop as necessary.

@Skirball wrote:

You don't need to use EOS utility at all.  Your operating system (e.g. Windows, whatever Mac uses these days, Linux, etc) can read the files on the computer and put them in a folder of your choosing to be read by whatever photo editing software you use.  Alternately, most photo editing software will import the files for you and put them in whatever filing system you choose.   When I put an SD card into my computer Adobe Lightroom automatically starts up and opens up an import dialog so I can choose what files I want to upload.  It will automatically put it in a folder titled with the date of capture unless I specify otherwise. 

Before I started using Lightroom I just used Adobe Bridge, which is part of Photoshop.  I would manually copy my files from the SD card to the folder of my choice using Windows Explorer.  Then open the files in Bridge and edit in ACR and Photoshop as necessary.

I'd just add that one thing the EOS Utility will do for you that the operating system won't is rename your image files on the fly. But that feature is usually of minimal value, since you can rename them with your photo editor (or the OS) as soon as you get them into a folder.

Using a card reader, you can also rename the files on the card, but that may not be the smartest idea. Most people prefer not to make any change to an image file until they have at least one copy on the computer. It's too easy to accidentally delete something.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I'd just add that one thing the EOS Utility will do for you that the operating system won't is rename your image files on the fly. But that feature is usually of minimal value, since you can rename them with your photo editor (or the OS) as soon as you get them into a folder.

Yes, and most decent photo editing/cataloging programs, such as Lightroom and Aperture, can automatically do this on import as well.

So there is no solution to the problem just some decent alternatives. My conclusion is that canon should work better on their software.

Thank you all for your responses

Is EOS Utility up to date?

The latest version is: EOS Utility 2 - version 2.14.1.0 (compatible with Win 8.1).

Announcements