cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical red line in underexposed pictures that are lightened

reiseman71
Apprentice

I am new to this forum, and I hope that you all can help. I just sent my 50D (about 8 years old) to Canon for maintenance and cleaning in anticipation of my honeymoon where I hope to do some night sky photography. Unfortunately, I have been having this weird red vertical line about 1/3 in from the left side of my photos when the picture is underexposed and I lighten it.

I sent it to Canon to be looked at and checked and got it back yesterday. Canon included a reply in the packaging, stating that my camera "has been examined and it was found that the imaging sensor assembly did not operate properly noise appeared in the image from time to time. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the imaging sensor assembly. Product functions were confirmed."

I took an underexposed RAW picture this morning, which I then lightened in Lightroom. Aside from it being very pixelated, the red line is still there! The only editing I did to the picture was to increase the exposure +3.50. Should I send this back to Canon and complain? If I take night shots, this will be the issue no matter what exposure I set it on b/c the pictures will most likely be dark and need to be lightened/edited. I'm new to night photography and don't want to screw it up on my honeymoon. We'll be in Morocco and staying in the Sahara where I hope to get some really great shots. Needless to say, I'm very frustrated.

Why do you think this is happening? Do you think it is b/c it's not meant to be lightened this much? That there's no way to fix an underexposed picture? Or, do you think I should send it back again and complain?  What can I do?

Thanks so much for you help.  

Attached is the original underexposed image, and the edited image that has been lightened +3.50 in Lightroom. You can see the red line in the arm of the couch.

IMG_9064-2.jpgIMG_9064.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

Very old post.  Start your own new one with samples.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements