cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical color band line on t2i 550 footage.

stephenpickerin
Apprentice

Ive seen this when shooting a point and shoot or a Flip Cam, but never on my dslr.  Obviously the sun we in the sky in the BG (But I don't even think it was visible in the shot, I believe it was much higher since there is no lens flare until shots taken later in the day).
In any case, sun or not, is this normal or is it a sign of a dying sensor?  I've used this camera for 3 or 4 years and have never noticed this.
Thanks!

-Stephen

vertical line.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you reffering to the CA?  If yes, than it is the lens not the sensor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think Stephen is referring to the dark area on the right side of the subject's black jacket.   Look at the area starting roughly in the vicinity of his left lapel on the jack and decending straight down from there.  But it's not apparent above the jacket.  

I had hoped there would be EXIF data embedded in the image, but I don't see it when using my EXIF viewer.  

What settings were you using when shooting this image and do you have any other examples?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Oh, I thought that was part of the jacket!?  Otherwise I don't know what it is.  It looks like it stops right at the top of the jacket?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The OP also refers to this in a way that suggests this is really a single frame from video footage.  I'd be very interested to know if it happens in a regular photograph.  Videos can have their own list of issues and it may not be related to the sensor.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi there,

Yes, I'm refering to the purplish verticle line on his coat.  I shot only video that day with no photos.  It appears often and not just on a single frame.  Half the takes (about 6) were unusable because of this line.  It seems to only show up on dark colors (on his coat, but not on the blownout sky).  This is very similar to what I've seen with a cheep FlipCam except that the flip cam would simply make the hottest spots (the sun for example or a really hot lens flare) black.

Here's what I mean about the FlipCam (this is not my image but one I found on Google) Black Sun

I know this is not the same, but I can't help but wonder if it's related.  Again, I've never seen this line in either stills or video on the dslr. Ever.

As for the settings, I'll have to double check.  I know I was shooting as wide as I could (kit lens so it was probably only an f3.5.  Shutter was pretty fast since it was pretty sunny and I want to say the ISO was in the 200-400 range.  Again, I'll take a look tomorrow when I'm in front of the footage again.

There were some shots with bright lens flares which I was able to use the entire take of, with no lines or distortion/artifacting at all.  Which is odd because I would have thought this would be even worse if I actually see (or at least nick) the sun in the shot.

I'll have to spend some time later this week to try out some settings and see if it was vissible while filming or if it was only recorded that way.  I have a feeling it was visible the entire time but even without my view finder I would think I would have noticed it.  It moves around with the sun so it was very obvious.

For what it's worth, here's the final export.  I didn't use any of the strong lens flares but there is some flare here and there (without the line).  Video

Thanks so much for your time so far!
-Stephen Pickering

Announcements