cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical Banding on an OLD 5D

jjjohn
Contributor

In the last shots I've discovered the issue.
My firmware is 1.1.1 (latest) and two years ago I had no problem.

Can you help me?

Firmwares problem?
Sensor damaged?
Electronics damaged?

Thank you!

_vb1.JPG_vb2.PNG

16 REPLIES 16

I forgot one thing. Don´t think this is the case with your camera, but it is possible to get radio frequency interference. Especially with the 5D. Then it looks like this http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00N/00NDgP-39605584.jpg
Wave pattern or line pattern.

http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00I/00IvZy-33693984.jpg

"There's still the problem..."

Yes there is but hold on to the reigns there cowboy.  I still believe you have a post problem more than a camera one.

Here is your shot done in ACR with just basic settings.

_MG_9768.jpg

This is a 100% crop.  The worse part is the gray truck box and the green cab.  But it isn't really noticeable until I enlarge to 200%.  Do you go that big?  Ever?  If I were you I would simply change my editing procedures.

I am not a fan, nor do I recommend anybody use or follow Magic Lantern.  That is your choice, however.  There can be pretty ugly results from doing so and Canon does not condone it either.  If you screw up your camera with ML, it will have to go back to Canon to be repaired! Worth the risk?  Not to me.

Second point if you are a 5D user, you are not likely going to be happy with a 6D.  It is a lesser camera and of course only excels because of newer technology over your current 5D.  It is not in the same class as the 5D Mk III which is the direct upgrade for the 5 series cameras.  The 6D is Canon's entry level camera.  The 5D Mk III is pro level gear.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Who said anything about installing ML?

I went from 5D and 5DII to a 6D. Very nice camera. Lighter, faster autofocus and no visible banding or visible fixed noise pattern. At least not from my camera. The only thing I miss is the joystick. I have a joypad instead. Not as fancy as the joystick.

"Who said anything about installing ML?"

You said ...........

At Magic Lantern forum they write this about it:

The mention of ML has a logical second step.  That is installing it.  Now it makes little difference to me if anybody wants to do so or even read their site for info but personally I am against it.  It is my opinion for sure but has basis in fact.

"... 6D. Very nice camera."

I am sure it is. Most all new DSLR's are "very nice".  It simply isn't in the same class as a 5 series.  IMHO, again, it is a step down form a 5 series.

My contention remains the OP has a post issue not a camera issue.  As sensor technology increases these types of artifacts are reduced or even eliminated.  A newer camera should show less unwanted stuff.

It's all good. Keep shooting................

EB

Peter
Authority
Authority
Is it a problem to gather information from Magic Lantern forum?

As I stated, IMHO, yes.  If you like it, use it. That is your decision.  I am not a fan of it.  BTW, I don't like DXO either.

EB

Forbidden fruit and the tree of knowledge 😉
Announcements