cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a SmallHD Focus with my 70D

johnbrownnz
Apprentice

Hi guys, I'm using a SmallHD Focus monitor with my 70D camera on a rig but can't use the camera touch screen when the monitor is plugged in - is there a menu setting that will allow me to use both touchscreens?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@johnbrownnz wrote:

Hi guys, I'm using a SmallHD Focus monitor with my 70D camera on a rig but can't use the camera touch screen when the monitor is plugged in - is there a menu setting that will allow me to use both touchscreens?

No, there is no menu setting to do that.  The Instruction Manual describes how the HDMI output is actually the same signal that is displayed on the LCD, which is disabled when you plug into the HDMI port.  You get either LCD display, or HDMI display, but not both at the same time, which would require duplicate circuitry to generate two video signals.

As far as the touch screen goes, that is restricted to the LCD dsplay on the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Didn't this come up before? I think there were several posts on the subject in another thread.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@johnbrownnz wrote:

No, there is no menu setting to do that.  The Instruction Manual describes how the HDMI output is actually the same signal that is displayed on the LCD, which is disabled when you plug into the HDMI port.  You get either LCD display, or HDMI display, but not both at the same time, which would require duplicate circuitry to generate two video signals.

As far as the touch screen goes, that is restricted to the LCD dsplay on the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for that brilliant reply to my problem - I have contacted smallHD and a spokesman stated that they are woking on 2-way communication from their monitor to camera so that metering and focus point can be changed from the monitor touchscreen - we wait in hope...

@johnbrownnz wrote:

Thank you for that brilliant reply to my problem - I have contacted smallHD and a spokesman stated that they are woking on 2-way communication from their monitor to camera so that metering and focus point can be changed from the monitor touchscreen - we wait in hope...

I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. It sounds to me as though it would require, at a minimum, a firmware change on the camera and possibly additional circuitry. I'd be surprised if Canon were willing to go down that road.

Your best bet might be to approach the developers of Magic Lantern. Maybe they'd be willing to try to add the capability you want to ML (assuming, of course, that it could be done entirely in firmware).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements