cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Canon EOS-R with BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder for live streaming.

ScottInLA2020
Apprentice

Hello, everyone.

I am wondering if anyone is using the Canon EOS-R for live streaming?  

I am trying to connect my EOS-R to my Mac computer and to my streaming software programs.  The good news is that I am successfully receiving a video image from my EOS-R into my streaming software programs (Wirecast & Ecamm Live).  However, the image is "stretched".  For the life of me, I've tried every  setting in the Canon EOS-R to rectify this.  Currently, the EOS-R's HDMI output setting is set to 1080p.  But I'm not having any success converting the image to a normal 1080p view.  I've been through all of the settings in Wirecast & Ecamm Live and BOTH are showing that the EOS-R video image is "stretched".  I even connected 2 older Canon VIXIA G20 video cameras to test the video of these HD devices and the video output for both cameras is NOT "stretched". 

So, that test eliminated the live streaming software programs as the source of the issue.  It has to be some sort of setting in the EOS-R. 

Here is my current set up:

Canon EOS-R (firmware 1.4.0)

Camera Settings:  HDMI Output is 1080p | Video settings: FHD 1920 x 1080p 29.97fps

BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder (latest firmware)

Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2017) OS X Catalina (10.15.3)

Graphics: Radeon Pro 560 4GB Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Streaming Software: Wirecast (Version 13.1.0 - 33.de1b55fe) & ECAMM Live (Version 3.4.3)

If anyone has had any success with this, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Scott

(Los Angeles, CA)

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I assume you are using the HDMI output. Have you tried hooking it up to a plain monitor or TV?

It is probably not a good idea to use an R for streaming. Even though it is mirrorless, It is really a still camera, not a video camera.

Thank you for getting back to me.  I will keep at it.

Did you find a resolution to this? I am having the same proble. 

Hi there.  

So, I had looked online and SO many people were suggesting I get an Elgato Cam Link 4K video capture device.  Everyone said how perfectly it worked.  I was waiting forever to get one and it finally arrived a few weeks ago and "Voila!" It worked.  I am so happy with it.  Using my Canon EOS R now as a webcam and for "Zoom" and pretty much any/all video-related things on my Macbook Pro has elevated my video expeirences to another level.  So, I'm happy to say, the Elgato product saved the day.

Keep in mind, finding the Elgato Cam Link 4K isn't necessarily hard.  It's just that with all that's going on in the world, there are many, many dispicable people out there and I think there are a lot of people who have purchasd all availble Elgato gear from Best Buy and similar stores and are hoarding them on eBay.  It was the only place I could find it.  And, of cousre, they are charging twice the price.  (angry face)  But, I have to say, the product it worth it.

Here is the product on Elgato's official site.

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/cam-link-4k

My set up:

- Canon EOS R

- HDMI running out of my Canon EOS R into the Cam Link 4K

- Cam Link 4K is then attached to an Apple USB-C to USB adapter, which is then plugged into one of the USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) ports on my 2017 Macbook Pro 15" - macOS Catalina Version 10.15.4 (19E287)

Anyway, I hope this helps you out.  

Thank you so much. I have been trying to secure the same device, but no luck. The Black Magic with my Canon ^d Mark II works perfectly (no black bars and correct aspect ratio), but unfortunately, that camera does not support clean HDMI. This led me to believe it was a Canon problem, but perhaps I will reach out to Black Magic.

So... after using the EOS Utility - barely works with the M50, but that doesn't have clean HDMI, I decided to use my EOS R with the Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder. Canon indicates you can get clean HDMI out at a fixed 24fps (not 23.97), which I've set. Set everything in OBS to 24 fps, and I get absolutely nothing. OBS recognizes the Ultrastudio, but the camera won't output to it. 

Very frustrating. Was able to make the m50 work with it, but with the non-clean HDMI out the M50 is pretty much useless, and its pretty much a waste of money to turn off AF and let the great Canon autofocus go to waste for a vlog-style video or YouTube stream. So... EOS R doesn't work with a device that every other camera in the world (every Sony or Lumix at least) seems to work with easily, and the M50 shouldn't even have an HDMi out, as it outputs a non-clean stream. 

Anyone able to make this work (with the Blackmagic unit)? Don't want to just go out and order an Elgato unit, as money isn't exactly raining down on us these days. If not the Blackmagic Ultrastudio, how about the Blackmagic ATEM Mini? I have that on order, and apparently it supports more frame rates.

I'm glad you found a solution that works! I have almost exactly your setup, same camera, capture card, even computer vintage! However when I use the Camlink at any resolution or frame rate, I can't get rid of occasional judder/stutters every few seconds that last a few seconds, and then go away, but come back again. Do you experience this at all, and have you used your setup with OBS?

Thanks!

@ScottInLA2020 wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I am wondering if anyone is using the Canon EOS-R for live streaming?  

I am trying to connect my EOS-R to my Mac computer and to my streaming software programs.  The good news is that I am successfully receiving a video image from my EOS-R into my streaming software programs (Wirecast & Ecamm Live).  However, the image is "stretched".  For the life of me, I've tried every  setting in the Canon EOS-R to rectify this.  Currently, the EOS-R's HDMI output setting is set to 1080p.  But I'm not having any success converting the image to a normal 1080p view.  I've been through all of the settings in Wirecast & Ecamm Live and BOTH are showing that the EOS-R video image is "stretched".  I even connected 2 older Canon VIXIA G20 video cameras to test the video of these HD devices and the video output for both cameras is NOT "stretched". 

So, that test eliminated the live streaming software programs as the source of the issue.  It has to be some sort of setting in the EOS-R. 

Here is my current set up:

Canon EOS-R (firmware 1.4.0)

Camera Settings:  HDMI Output is 1080p | Video settings: FHD 1920 x 1080p 29.97fps

BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder (latest firmware)

Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2017) OS X Catalina (10.15.3)

Graphics: Radeon Pro 560 4GB Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Streaming Software: Wirecast (Version 13.1.0 - 33.de1b55fe) & ECAMM Live (Version 3.4.3)

If anyone has had any success with this, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Scott

(Los Angeles, CA)

I can't say what's causing the problem, but it's pretty clear what the problem is. Assuming that the horizontal and vertical spacing of the pixels is the same, 1920 x 1080 is the 16:9 aspect ratio of a flat-screen TV, while the camera's native aspect ratio is 3:2. Evidently there's some confusion between the camera and the streaming software as to what the image's aspect ratio really is. Some parameter must be set wrong, either in the camera or in the software.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

yogastef
Contributor
heya bro, canon have unleashed webcam software which i believe this model falls under, check out the webcam utility https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/
You may even be able to save a fortune returning the blackmagic
very good luck to you
Announcements