Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Using Canon EOS-R with BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder for live streaming.

Hello, everyone.

I am wondering if anyone is using the Canon EOS-R for live streaming?  

I am trying to connect my EOS-R to my Mac computer and to my streaming software programs.  The good news is that I am successfully receiving a video image from my EOS-R into my streaming software programs (Wirecast & Ecamm Live).  However, the image is "stretched".  For the life of me, I've tried every  setting in the Canon EOS-R to rectify this.  Currently, the EOS-R's HDMI output setting is set to 1080p.  But I'm not having any success converting the image to a normal 1080p view.  I've been through all of the settings in Wirecast & Ecamm Live and BOTH are showing that the EOS-R video image is "stretched".  I even connected 2 older Canon VIXIA G20 video cameras to test the video of these HD devices and the video output for both cameras is NOT "stretched". 

So, that test eliminated the live streaming software programs as the source of the issue.  It has to be some sort of setting in the EOS-R. 

Here is my current set up:

Canon EOS-R (firmware 1.4.0)

Camera Settings:  HDMI Output is 1080p | Video settings: FHD 1920 x 1080p 29.97fps

BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder (latest firmware)

Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2017) OS X Catalina (10.15.3)

Graphics: Radeon Pro 560 4GB Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Streaming Software: Wirecast (Version 13.1.0 - 33.de1b55fe) & ECAMM Live (Version 3.4.3)

If anyone has had any success with this, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Scott

(Los Angeles, CA)

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Using Canon EOS-R with BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder for live streaming.

I assume you are using the HDMI output. Have you tried hooking it up to a plain monitor or TV?

It is probably not a good idea to use an R for streaming. Even though it is mirrorless, It is really a still camera, not a video camera.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Using Canon EOS-R with BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder for live streaming.

@ScottInLA2020 wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I am wondering if anyone is using the Canon EOS-R for live streaming?  

I am trying to connect my EOS-R to my Mac computer and to my streaming software programs.  The good news is that I am successfully receiving a video image from my EOS-R into my streaming software programs (Wirecast & Ecamm Live).  However, the image is "stretched".  For the life of me, I've tried every  setting in the Canon EOS-R to rectify this.  Currently, the EOS-R's HDMI output setting is set to 1080p.  But I'm not having any success converting the image to a normal 1080p view.  I've been through all of the settings in Wirecast & Ecamm Live and BOTH are showing that the EOS-R video image is "stretched".  I even connected 2 older Canon VIXIA G20 video cameras to test the video of these HD devices and the video output for both cameras is NOT "stretched". 

So, that test eliminated the live streaming software programs as the source of the issue.  It has to be some sort of setting in the EOS-R. 

Here is my current set up:

Canon EOS-R (firmware 1.4.0)

Camera Settings:  HDMI Output is 1080p | Video settings: FHD 1920 x 1080p 29.97fps

BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder (latest firmware)

Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2017) OS X Catalina (10.15.3)

Graphics: Radeon Pro 560 4GB Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Streaming Software: Wirecast (Version 13.1.0 - 33.de1b55fe) & ECAMM Live (Version 3.4.3)

If anyone has had any success with this, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Scott

(Los Angeles, CA)

I can't say what's causing the problem, but it's pretty clear what the problem is. Assuming that the horizontal and vertical spacing of the pixels is the same, 1920 x 1080 is the 16:9 aspect ratio of a flat-screen TV, while the camera's native aspect ratio is 3:2. Evidently there's some confusion between the camera and the streaming software as to what the image's aspect ratio really is. Some parameter must be set wrong, either in the camera or in the software.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you for getting back to me.  I will keep at it.