cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Full Frame from 60d - which to go to? 6d/6d2/5d3?

goldengate99
Contributor

upgrading from a 60d to full frame - I have decent class (24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f4, 50mm f1.4, 85mm).

really really having a hard time deciding between 6d2 and 5d3.  also considering 6d.  Want to stay below $2k, can't really justify going over that.  Although I'd love a 5d4 I just can't do it.....

Any advice is very much appreciated.

21 REPLIES 21

ScottyP
Authority

Depends on what you shoot.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

goldengate99
Contributor
Lots of stills/portraits of horses and their owners, photos of my kids/family and I will do sessions w kids and families and high school senior pics etc etc. Not a pro but an enthusiast who’d like to get better and do more.

@goldengate99 wrote:
Lots of stills/portraits of horses and their owners, photos of my kids/family and I will do sessions w kids and families and high school senior pics etc etc. Not a pro but an enthusiast who’d like to get better and do more.

Get the 6D2 because it's newer. Canon has an annoying habit of discontinuing support for a camera before its useful life is over.

The 5D3 is better built and arguably has better weather sealing; but for the kinds of photography you do, that's not likely to matter. The 5D3 may have a slightly better autofocus system, and the 6D2 may have slightly better low-light performance; probably a wash.

Don't get a 6D; either of the other two is worth the additional cost. Watch for a refurb unit in the Canon Store.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I agree with Bob on the 6d2.

Your shooting doesn’t include a lot of fast sports so the slightly better autofocus of the 5d3 won’t make a difference.  Neither would its slight weathersealing edge. 

The low light AF advantage of the 6d2 and slight low light IQ advantage certainly could be useful. The fact 5d3 is old and about to be discontinued is another thing.  And you can save $500 or $600. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

goldengate99,

I'm sure you know my vote between those 3. 

If you were going to go 5Dx, then the IV would have to be added to the table. This puts you at a much higher pricepoint.   

Between the 6D and 2, Canon has improved on every freature/spec of the original.  When you compare low light, high ISO shots, the 6D2 stil holds its own, even if compared to the 5D4.  Of course the ferrari can and does eventually pull away from the pack and thats why it costs more. 

Your situation, bang for buck.  18MP to 26.2MP, greater ISO, 9 AF points vs. 45.  Digic 7, the 6d2 for your photography is the easy choice like the guys are saying.  Also, I have purchased refurb and brand new from Canon.  Can't tell the difference.  Don't hesitate to buy refurb if the right deal comes along.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@goldengate99 wrote:

I do not think you “need” a 5D3, either.  In fact, for what you describe, I think you could do just as well with a 6D.  But, I am going to recommend the 6D2, mainly because if you decide to capture a family video, then you will want the video capabilities in the 6D2.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Lots of stills/portraits of horses and their owners, photos of my kids/family and I will do sessions w kids and families and high school senior pics ..."

Just about any DSLR will do that nicely.

I shoot lots of Senior photos and I use both a cropper and a FF.  Yearbook starts next week so I will be busy!

Your lens choice will be more important than your camera choice.  These are the lenses I use....

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens,

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens, pretty standard and most people consider them best there is.  However there is one more lens that I find indispensable for group Yearbook shots.  

The Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens, you may want to consider it.

Personally I would rather have that lens than any of the FF's you are looking at if it meant I couldn't have that lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Lots of stills/portraits of horses and their owners, photos of my kids/family and I will do sessions w kids and families and high school senior pics ..."

Just about any DSLR will do that nicely.

I shoot lots of Senior photos and I use both a cropper and a FF.  Yearbook starts next week so I will be busy!

Your lens choice will be more important than your camera choice.  These are the lenses I use....

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens,

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens, pretty standard and most people consider them best there is.  However there is one more lens that I find indispensable for group Yearbook shots.  

The Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens, you may want to consider it.

Personally I would rather have that lens than any of the FF's you are looking at if it meant I couldn't have that lens.

To me that makes no sense. If you're not getting, or don't already have, a FF camera, you don't need the 16-35. Its range falls almost within that of any of the usual walkaround zooms for a crop camera. The 17-55mm f/2.8 IS will do just fine.

I have the 16-35mm f/4L and think it's a fine lens. But I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't had a FF camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

As original post outline, I have two L lenses, the 70-200 f4 and the 24-70 f2.8. I also have a 85mm prime lens.

I did purchase the 6d2 a week or two ago, but after watching videos on YouTube by people who have used it (the camera store and others),  and reading the very mixed reviews online - i decided to return it while I do more research.

Concerned about the brouhaha re 6d2 Dynamic Range and loss of detail, and the stupid AF system being clumped in the middle - hence the need to focus and recompose.  Also kinda bummed about the single card slot, as I get more professional in my approach I don't want to lose any images/customers.

I found a used 5d3 at b&h with 3200 shutter count for $1719.  I have it on hold and am thinking hard about it.

I shoot video mostly with my iphone.... so not too worried about using a big DLSR for video.

Really wish that this was easier.  UGH.

Announcements