cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Full Frame from 60d - which to go to? 6d/6d2/5d3?

goldengate99
Contributor

upgrading from a 60d to full frame - I have decent class (24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f4, 50mm f1.4, 85mm).

really really having a hard time deciding between 6d2 and 5d3.  also considering 6d.  Want to stay below $2k, can't really justify going over that.  Although I'd love a 5d4 I just can't do it.....

Any advice is very much appreciated.

21 REPLIES 21

"Concerned about the brouhaha re 6d2 Dynamic Range and loss of detail, and the stupid AF system being clumped in the middle.."

You need to stop reading so many reviews and Youtube.  Although I am not a 6D or 6D Mk II fan, they are both capable cameras. it would have worked well for what you are doing. 

Most reviewers want to justify a purchase or justify not purchasing a camera.  The rest are pixel peepers which has nothing to do with real world photography.  Take a look at my "Can you pick" thread here on Canon forum.

They, the 6D models, are not pro level, however, and it sounds like that is where you are or want to be headed.  That does make a better case for one of the 5D models.  Dual card slots is mandatory for a pro.  Plus the 5D series is just a better build body.  It is more designed to do day in day out service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was taught to research a purchase before I drop $2000+ on something.  

Looks like the 6d2 has a lot of weaknesses.  Hence the collective research happenening.

"I was taught to research a purchase before I drop $2000+ on something."

I can't fault that.  Makes sense.   But it does make a difference if the research is valid.  The sad truth is most of the ole inner web advice is worthless.

The lenses you choose will have more of an impact on your work than any camera will.

EB

@goldengate99 wrote:

As original post outline, I have two L lenses, the 70-200 f4 and the 24-70 f2.8. I also have a 85mm prime lens.

I did purchase the 6d2 a week or two ago, but after watching videos on YouTube by people who have used it (the camera store and others),  and reading the very mixed reviews online - i decided to return it while I do more research.

Concerned about the brouhaha re 6d2 Dynamic Range and loss of detail, and the stupid AF system being clumped in the middle - hence the need to focus and recompose.  Also kinda bummed about the single card slot, as I get more professional in my approach I don't want to lose any images/customers.

I found a used 5d3 at b&h with 3200 shutter count for $1719.  I have it on hold and am thinking hard about it.

I shoot video mostly with my iphone.... so not too worried about using a big DLSR for video.

Really wish that this was easier.  UGH.

The complaints about dynamic range and clustered AF points are petty, IMHO.  The 30% increase in resolution, with marginal change in DR sounds like an improvement to me.  

As for the clustered AF points, Canon has done it before, with the same host of complaints, with 1D and 1Ds bodies sharing the same focus system.  If you looked through the viewfinder, you will see that the AF points cover the SAME angle of view in the 1Ds3 and 1D4.  The same is true with the 80D and 6D2.  In fact, the 6D2 may be slightly wider.

Furthermore, the clustered AF points provide MORE DATA to the camera when you are AI Servo mode.  The camera tracks extremely well.  My keeper rate is much improved over using a 7D2, and the photos are sharper.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Wadizzle,

You just summerized the whole thread...  Bob and Ernie offered the alamode and I said from the start that if a 5D(any) was going to considered that GG99 better save his pennies for the IV. 

GG99, I watched every youtube video and read every article I could find..  DXO, DP Review, Ken Rockwell, Jared Polin Fro Knows Photo, Amazon, B&H and I purchased a 6D2.  No regrets here.  Great entry level FF camera. 

If you are that conflicted, you need to rent both and go on a shoot.  We've told you what we think and would do.

Good luck with your decision.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

As with any decision there will come a coulda shoulda, it really comes down to your budget, you would not regret the 5d3, it will serve you well, you already have two of the best lenses, I read through the advice of an aditional lens, I have both the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM & Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L III USM  

I have not taken the cap off the first one since I bought the latest version, and I have stated it before the Series III will become ledgendary.

Robert, Robert, my friend,

There is a huge difference in our work models.  You seem to forget that.  The Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens may share a nearly similar FL, that is where that similarity ends.  The two lenses are not even in the same zip code in build.

Until you live this lifestyle you probably don't even realize that makes a difference.

EB

BOYS!  Stop your bickering.  You sound like old ladies.  Enough.

I cannot decide between spending $1719 on a 5d3 with 3200 clicks or a new 6d2 for $1699.

Seems like the juries are out all over the world on the 6d2 - most seem to think that it won't be a camera that will go down in history or that the masses will flock to.

I am hoping that whichever body I buy will last me the next 5+ years and won't bug the **bleep** out of me.

"BOYS!  Stop your bickering.  You sound like old ladies.  Enough."

You asked we didn't.  Sorry if you don't like the answer.

Truth of the matter is the 6D Mk II would have been fine.  The 5D Mk III will also.

EB

@goldengate99 wrote:

BOYS!  Stop your bickering.  You sound like old ladies.  Enough.

I cannot decide between spending $1719 on a 5d3 with 3200 clicks or a new 6d2 for $1699.

Seems like the juries are out all over the world on the 6d2 - most seem to think that it won't be a camera that will go down in history or that the masses will flock to.

I am hoping that whichever body I buy will last me the next 5+ years and won't bug the **bleep** out of me.

For $2100 you can have a new 5D3. At that price, I think it's a better value (though not a better camera, obviously) than a new 5D4.

3200 clicks isn't very many on a 5D3, but with any used camera it's hard to know where it's been and how it's been treated.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements