cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from 7D...Suggestions?

ggarmen
Apprentice

After making my first big camera purchase many years ago, I have decided I am well overdue to upgrade from my trusty Canon 7D. Since getting the 7D, I have invested in some glass (Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 and Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2), the second of which I bought a few months ago and love. Got me to thinking that I should probably see what's out there from a body standpoint too.

Seems like some things have changed but that Canon has maybe fallen behind a little of the competition. That said, I am not looking to switch. Plus a lot of these features where they may have fallen behind will be new to me. I think I could talk myself into getting an 80D, 7D Mark II, or 5D Mark IV and feel good about my purchase (I've tried very hard to try and talk myself into a 1D-x but just can't do it for that kind of cash). So my question to the group is, what should I upgrade my 7D to?

Short story:

I primarily like shooting sports/action/candid and am also looking for something that will be a step-up in low light performance. I'd love to get into doing more video so better on that front would be nice to have, but not need to have. The whole "zapping the photos from your camera to your phone via wifi" sounds real cool. Shooting looking mainly at the touchscreen sounds interesting, is it significantly better than going "old school"? All that said, my primary interest is image quality and trying to get as many good, in-focus shots as possible.

Long story:

I run a small website business and in some of my offerings I include photography. I'm not the best when it comes to portrait shots (you'll never see me taking photos for the high school yearbook and battling Olan Mills), but good enough to get the job done. I find much more fulfillment in candid shots and often try to steer clients that way.

But my true passion in photography is sports, and over the past couple of years, my daughter's competitive gymnastics events. It is fun to be able to capture the action mid-air with my 7D, but often a challenge in small gyms with not so great lighting. My youngest daughter started dance this year and I am excited to shoot her recitals and get some good shots of her like I do for big sis.

It looks like the 7D Mark II can give me pretty much a better version of what I have at a good value. What am I missing by not having a full frame? Looks like the 5D Mk4 has lower fps, but does it make up for it in image quality? Is the video that much better? If I want to branch out more into photography and be more aggressive in offering that service to businesses, does it make more sense to go for the 5D Mk4? Am I better off just grabbing an 80D for now and waiting a year or two to see what Cannon will have as far as mid-higher tier DSLR offerings?

When I got my first Canon Rebel a decade ago, I dove into learning about photography. I then bought the 7D and continued my learning to make the most of my purchase. I would say I kinda "slumped" there for 2 or 3 years, but re-kindled things a year or so ago and the most recent Tamron lens I bought definitely stoked the fire. That purchase was made with one of my new clients in mind, and my current desire to upgrade the 7D is definitely based at least in part on business possibilities. But my kids are only young once, and I want to capture as many beautiful moments as I can.

If you've read this far, I really appreciate you doing so and would love to hear your thoughts on my situation. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ggarmen wrote:

Short story:

I primarily like shooting sports/action/candid and am also looking for something that will be a step-up in low light performance. I'd love to get into doing more video so better on that front would be nice to have, but not need to have. The whole "zapping the photos from your camera to your phone via wifi" sounds real cool. Shooting looking mainly at the touchscreen sounds interesting, is it significantly better than going "old school"? All that said, my primary interest is image quality and trying to get as many good, in-focus shots as possible.

If you've read this far, I really appreciate you doing so and would love to hear your thoughts on my situation. Thanks!

You have a true dilemma, in choosing between the 7D2, 80D, and 5D4.  

Because of the video, the most logical suggestion would be the 80D.  Because of a desire to use the rear screen for composing shots, the most logical suggest would be the 80D.  But, while the 80D does offer a significant improvement in low light performance over a 7D, the 80D does not measure not better than a 7D2.  Although, I think the 80D serves up better looking images.

On the other hand, there is a good argument for the 7D2.  The 7D2 is not the best body for video, nor is it the best body for using it like a smartphone.  But, it is the most logical choice for a 7D owner.  The rear panel button layout on a 7D2 is more similar to a 7D than an 80D, which has more of a Rebel rear panel button layout.

Of course, the 5D series has a rear button layout that is similar to the 7D series.  Going to a full frame body will mean losing the narrower AOV associated with a crop sensor body, which can be crucial for sports photography.  You will not find many pros shooting indoor sports with a crop sensor body, not unless there is near perfect lighting.  However, the full frame body will definitely give you the noticeable improvement in low light performance that you appear to be seeking, but that performance comes at a price.

A less costly full frame option would be the 6D2.  Like the 5D4, the full frame body will give a wider AOV.  But, like the 5D4, the higher resolution sensor wil allow you to crop the images to an AOV similar to a 7D2, and do so with lower noise in your images/. The 6D2 is basically a full frame version of an 80D.  I own a 7D2, and I only use it outdoors in bright, sunny conditions.  But, the 6D2 has a rear button layout that is similar to Rebel bodies.

For shooting indoor sports with poor lighting, the logical choice would be a full frame body, like a 5D3 or 5D4.  Since it does not rain indoors very often, the 6D2 would be a more frugal choice, but it does have the “foreign” rear panel button layout.  

Those are the current choices.  I think your best path would be a full frame body, like a 5D4 or 6D2, not a crop sensor body, like an 80D or 7D2.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ggarmen
Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback Waddizzle!

Will the Tamron lenses work on a full-frame camera? If so, buy a 5D4 if it's within your budget and a 6D2 otherwise. I think I agree with Waddizzle that a FF camera appears to be in your future, so another APS-C camera may turn out to be an expensive diversion.

The 7D is still a fine camera, BTW. (I still have one of my original two.) It will serve very well as a backup for whatever camera you buy. The only potential annoyance is that the 7D and the 6D2 require different memory cards.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob!

And of course this is the correct answer, "...buy a 5D4 if it's within your budget..."  The best is always the best.

Don't believe keyboard jocks that just pass on small spec differences with no real experience. If you can go for the 5D Mk IV, it is an amazing camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ggarmen
Apprentice
Thank you ebiggs1!
Announcements