cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from 60D or buy a good glass? Tight budget

AutumnApple
Enthusiast

I am sorry if this question pop up a lot but I'd be appreciate some recommendation for my case.

I have been using Canon 60D for a while, mostly for my kid's pictures and occasionally landscape or wild animals. 

I got 3 STM lens to cover what i need: 18-55mm, 50mm, 55-250mm. (going to be given 70-300 IS USM II). Problem is running outside with a kid, there's hardly a chance for switching lenses, I found myself using 55-250 most of the time, to get some decent photos of my kid and some room for nature photos but that also mean lots of struggle when wide angle is needed.

Now I'm thinking of 2 options:

- sell my lenses and get Canon 24-105mm L lens for all purposed.

For this, would I gain higher image quality ? Would this still produce good boker since it's f4. I am ok with shorter zoom. 

- or should I upgrade my 60D to 6D and keep 50mm STM with 70-300 IS USM II? 

Would this option yield better result in general compared with lens upgrade?

I had pretty bad luck with third party lenses so I'd prefer to avoid them at all cost. Thanks for reading and I'd much appreciate to hear some recommendation.

20 REPLIES 20

@AutumnApple wrote:

I tried 18-135 IS version and not very impressed, maybe the STM would do better?

Yes, the STM version is much better. It is better than the older 18-135 and the EF 24-105 f/4L. I owned the EF-S 18-135 IS STM and the EF 24-105 f/4L until I gave the EF 24-105 f/4L and my 6D to my daughter. Neither the 6D nor the EF 24-105 f/4L outperformed my 7D Mk II with the EF-S 18-135 IS STM, so I was never using them. I gave them to my daughter so they would get some use.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Problem is running outside with a kid, there's hardly a chance for switching lenses, ..."

This is an issue that I hear all the time.  Probably the greatest feature of a DSLR and the previous SLR is the ability to change lenses to suit the situation.  Cameras made before the SLR were not as easily adaptable to conditions.  I would suggest you invest in two lenses and 'train' with them.  You will be surprised how fluid you can become at switching lenses.  But don't give up the best single attribute of your DSLR.

The ef 24-105mm f4L is the best buy in an "L" lens.  The fact it has pretty good IQ besides a reasonable price contribute to this.  However I doubt it will provide much to any better photos than you are currently getting.  The STM lenses are pretty good, too.  Part of the "L" lens line is the build.  They are designed to be more durable as they are aimed at the pro market.  They are going to be heavier.  Keep that in mind.

"I had pretty bad luck with third party lenses so I'd prefer to avoid them at all cost."

This is unfortunate because there are some real gems available in the third world lens market.  The problem for you is to be careful and selective on which one you buy.  Some of the third world lenses are actually better then their Canon counterpart.

For instance any of the Sigma 'Art' series is very good to outstanding.  I can imagine they have to have Canon's attention.

In the circle I run in, I used to rarely to never see a third party lens in use.  Now I see it fairly often. Personally, I too, am pretty locked into Canon lenses.  I see their lenses as the finest line up in the world. But I also see what is happening in the off brand companies.  The only off brand lens that routinely goes with me in my bag is the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens.  The other four are Canon "L" lenses.

"...should I upgrade my 60D to 6D and keep 50mm STM with 70-300 IS USM II?"

If this is the only option, I would keep the lenses you have and the 60D.  I am not a fan of the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM Lens at all.  I would highly recommend the EOS 6D and the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  Sell the rest except maybe for the 50mil. But its only real benefit for you is fast aperture.  Once you get the  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens on a 6D you won't find much use for the 50mil. 

IMHO, of course as always.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1: thank you very much for your advice.

@AutumnApple wrote:
@ebiggs1: thank you very much for your advice.

He suggested the 6D and the EF 24-104mm f/4L II IS USM.  I would swap the camera body and lens for the 6D Mark II and the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, which is roughly the same cost.  The 6D2 will focus better than the original.  But, I think that total cost far exceeds your budget.

But, check out the Canon Refurbished store for great deals on Canon gear.  You will not find either the 6D Mark II, or the EF 24-105mm f/4L II USM, though.  The latest and greatest won’t be there for at least a year, most likely.  The 80D is frequently on sale for signicantly less than list price.

What is your budget, anyway?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"He suggested the 6D and the EF 24-104mm f/4L II IS USM.  I would swap the camera body and lens for the 6D Mark II and the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, which is roughly the same cost."

I can go for that!  Smiley Happy  This is costly there is no doubt but it will put you squarely into more professional gear. You have the satification knowing got the best gear you can.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@AutumnApple wrote:

I am sorry if this question pop up a lot but I'd be appreciate some recommendation for my case.

I have been using Canon 60D for a while, mostly for my kid's pictures and occasionally landscape or wild animals. 

I got 3 STM lens to cover what i need: 18-55mm, 50mm, 55-250mm. (going to be given 70-300 IS USM II). Problem is running outside with a kid, there's hardly a chance for switching lenses, I found myself using 55-250 most of the time, to get some decent photos of my kid and some room for nature photos but that also mean lots of struggle when wide angle is needed.

Now I'm thinking of 2 options:

- sell my lenses and get Canon 24-105mm L lens for all purposed.

For this, would I gain higher image quality ? Would this still produce good boker since it's f4. I am ok with shorter zoom. 

- or should I upgrade my 60D to 6D and keep 50mm STM with 70-300 IS USM II? 

Would this option yield better result in general compared with lens upgrade?

I had pretty bad luck with third party lenses so I'd prefer to avoid them at all cost. Thanks for reading and I'd much appreciate to hear some recommendation.

Practiced more with the gear you have.

Buying new gear won't magically make you get better shots of your kids.

"Practiced more with the gear you have.

Buying new gear won't magically make you get better shots of your kids"

Absolutely true. I am doing my best to learn something new and re-learn some other things everyday. 

You may find this helpful.      http://www.canonoutsideofauto.ca/

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority

Hi,

The advice to grow your skills before spending too much on equipment has logic behind it.  On the other hand upgrading lenses make such a big difference compared to upgrading bodies in most cases it certainly can't hurt if you have the money and as long as you buy a good workhorse general purpose lens that will be useful no matter where your photography takes you. 

An 80d goes for $1,100.00.  I would be very much afraid that if you spend That much just to replace your 60d with an 80d instead of/without upgrading your lenses you may see no image quality improvement at all. 

I would go for lenses instead of a camera and i would skip the long telephoto/wild animals lens, or at least put it off til later. Good telephoto lenses are expensive, and, short of going on safari, shots of wild animals you are likely to encounter will not be of the kind of lasting value for your money that great quality images of your kids and family would be. 

You could stick with crop sensors and get yourself an EF -s 17-55 f/2.8 to upgrade your walk around lens with a brighter sharper model. Then you could decide whether you would also like a wide angle 10-22 for your landscape or if you can make it work just fine with the 17-55. 

Alternately you could invest in a 24-70 f/2.8 II.  It leaves a crop body slightly lacking for wide angle use, but it is a beautiful fantastic lens on any camera and it would be ready to put into service on a full frame camera later on if you go full frame. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

AutumnApple
Enthusiast

Thank you guys for so much help. I really appreciate all your kind advices.

After reading and reconsidering my situation again and again, I decided to keep my 60d for the moment, though the temptation of buying more advanced camera is hard to suppress, evedently I haven't been able to unlock all 60d potentials yet

I will buy Canon 24-105mm IS L to use for general purpose. While I may/ maynot benefit from it base on my current skills, but Im working hard to improve everyday and hopefully in near future, when ready, i would be able to jump for full-frame. 

Announcements