cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading dilemma-Rebel t3i to EOS 90d or RP

peteck18
Contributor

HI.

I currently own a Canon Rebel t3i and I want to upgrade. My lenses are all EF-S. I would love to upgrade to the new Canon EOS-RP but I can't afford new glass. I know I can get the adapters that allow the EF-S lenses to fit on the FF body, but I understand that there is a decline in quality and resolution. My other option is to forego the FF option and get the Canon EOS-90D which is APS-C CMOS sensor.  That way I can use the lenses I currently own.

So, my question is...what should I do?  Is getting the FF and using the adapter a waste of money? Am I foregoing all the other features (like higher ISO, etc)?   I don't know when I can upgrade to new lenses.

I should point out that I am an enthusiast, but won't be going the professional route as a photographer.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ebiggs1 wrote:

This is such an easy decision.  Buy the 90D and don't look back.  No matter what anybody says, adapters are just that adapters.  They adapt something that isn't designed to work with something else.  If nothing else it is another piece of gear you need to carry and keep track of.

Not to mention the 90D is a wonderful camera in its own right.  You will love it.

I agree with Ernie. If you're not going to buy new glass, choose a camera that's designed for the glass you have.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

peteck18
Contributor
Thank you all! Much food for thought!!!

The 90D costs a few hundred more for a reason.  Its more camera. 

Or you can use the money you saved buying an RP to purchase more battery's.  Shots 1300 vs. 250

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

This is such an easy decision.  Buy the 90D and don't look back.  No matter what anybody says, adapters are just that adapters.  They adapt something that isn't designed to work with something else.  If nothing else it is another piece of gear you need to carry and keep track of.

Not to mention the 90D is a wonderful camera in its own right.  You will love it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I agree with Ernie. If you're not going to buy new glass, choose a camera that's designed for the glass you have.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"The 90D costs a few hundred more for a reason.  Its more camera."

+1 Exactly! Smiley Happy  This is a no brainer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I don't know if you are interested in macro photography but i really like the ability of the 90D to do focus stacking.  I have used it a lot.  I don't know if the R has the same feature.

dino_dsd
Contributor
Although it is designed for EF-S and EF lenses. Lot of them don't work with 90D. There's a list on internet of lenses that work and ones that don't. There may be a case getting the 90D will require investing in a better, newer and more expensive lenses

@dino_dsd wrote:
Although it is designed for EF-S and EF lenses. Lot of them don't work with 90D. There's a list on internet of lenses that work and ones that don't. There may be a case getting the 90D will require investing in a better, newer and more expensive lenses

A little clarification. Any EF or EF-S lens will work with the 90D.

What people are experiencing is that the high pixel count on the 90D is resulting in resolving power that exceeds the resolving power of some of the lower priced Canon kit type lenses.

The same phenomenon would also occur with the high megapixel 5D cameras, but those cameras are generally used with "L" glass.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@dino_dsd wrote:

As stated above ALL of the EF-S and EF lenses work with the 90D.  Photos will as good or better with all of the lenses.  Actually I suspect that "dino_dsd" is a 90D troll.  All of his/her posts are negitive about the 90D.  BTW I have a 90D and love it.

I'm not a troll. How quickly you are stamping people. I've got a 90D, and i love it, but faced this issue with soft focus on some lenses, i was totally disappointed at first. I was searching on internet, read a lot of reviews, viewed a lot of posts on you tube. Read a lot about pixel pitch, resolution power and things like that, setting camera, disabling EOS iTR, Canon statement that some old lenses won't give a sharp image, etc. I spent a month searching and learning, and stil searching to improve my shots. But i wrote this as it may help someone. I wish i knew all this information before i bought it, as I would go and test it, see the results and after that make the decision.  You can alsow view this video about Canon Responds To 90D Lens Problems https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cglN96eZO08

Announcements