cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading dilemma-Rebel t3i to EOS 90d or RP

peteck18
Contributor

HI.

I currently own a Canon Rebel t3i and I want to upgrade. My lenses are all EF-S. I would love to upgrade to the new Canon EOS-RP but I can't afford new glass. I know I can get the adapters that allow the EF-S lenses to fit on the FF body, but I understand that there is a decline in quality and resolution. My other option is to forego the FF option and get the Canon EOS-90D which is APS-C CMOS sensor.  That way I can use the lenses I currently own.

So, my question is...what should I do?  Is getting the FF and using the adapter a waste of money? Am I foregoing all the other features (like higher ISO, etc)?   I don't know when I can upgrade to new lenses.

I should point out that I am an enthusiast, but won't be going the professional route as a photographer.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ebiggs1 wrote:

This is such an easy decision.  Buy the 90D and don't look back.  No matter what anybody says, adapters are just that adapters.  They adapt something that isn't designed to work with something else.  If nothing else it is another piece of gear you need to carry and keep track of.

Not to mention the 90D is a wonderful camera in its own right.  You will love it.

I agree with Ernie. If you're not going to buy new glass, choose a camera that's designed for the glass you have.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The adapters cause no loss in quality, but they do cause a loss in pixels* since you are limited to the area of the sensor equivalent to a crop frame camera.

* I hesitate to call it "resolution" since you get the same number of pixels per unit area.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

FWIW, here is summary from cameradecisions-dot-com

Annotation 2020-05-11 143146.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Your chart is incomplete since it does not account for the reduced pixel count when using an EF-S lens.

Thanks!  Does the reduced pixel number and the croop factor outweigh the benifits of increased IOS and focul points?

Only you can decide that.

Thank you.  I was afraid you'd say that.  I want someone to tell me what to do!

Smiley Happy

Note, that once you start buying RF glass, the point becomes moot.

I would keep the T3i as a backup.

Got it.  Thanks.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@peteck18 wrote:

HI.

1) I currently own a Canon Rebel t3i and I want to upgrade. My lenses are all EF-S. I would love to upgrade to the new Canon EOS-RP but I can't afford new glass. I know I can get the adapters that allow the EF-S lenses to fit on the FF body, but I understand that there is a decline in quality and resolution.

2) My other option is to forego the FF option and get the Canon EOS-90D which is APS-C CMOS sensor.  That way I can use the lenses I currently own.So, my question is...what should I do? 

3) Is getting the FF and using the adapter a waste of money? Am I foregoing all the other features (like higher ISO, etc)?   I don't know when I can upgrade to new lenses.

4) I should point out that I am an enthusiast, but won't be going the professional route as a photographer.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

The adapters that allow EF/EF-S lenses on the RF mount will have decreased resolution when used with EF-S lense.

image_circle.jpg

1) The decreased resolution is not a fault of the lens, the camera, nor the adapter.  The reduced resolution is due to the fact that the EF-S lens will project a smaller image circle that covers APS-C sensor, but which does not cover a FF sensor.  There is no drop in "image quality", per se.  In fact, I would quickly argue that the RP would give you better IQ, because of its' lower noise and wider dynamic range.  Do not get hang your hat on sensor resolution as being the yardstick to measure IQ.  It's complicated.

2) As to whether or not you should go for an RF mount camera body, or remain with an EF-S mount body, only you can decide that.  With current offerings, I think what it is that you like to shoot, how you use your camera the most, should be the major determine factor.  

3) I think Canon has designed the EOS RP to be an upgrade path fro Rebel users into the world of FF cameras.  In the past, moving from a Rebel to a FF body was a major undertaking.  Now, all you need is a camera mount adapter.

4) As I previously noted, how you intend to use the camera should be the major determining factor in your purchase decision.  If you are the casual shooter, not the sports and wildlife shooter, then the EOS RP is probably the better choice.  The future of the EF-S mount is limited, and its' sunset seems to be coming into view.  On the other hand, the EOS RP is not the ideal choice for any sort of action photography, not even the family dog running around the backyard, IMHO.

The final choice is up to you.  I will point out that the best laid plans are subject to change.  Are you using your current camera camera the way you had envisioned when you purchased it?  

If you think that there is chance that you might come down with the camera-virus, then I would strongly recommend the 90D, which carries a noticeably higher price tag.  Otherwise, I would recommend the natural upgrade path to the EOS RP.

There are additional EOS R series bodies in the works.  One would thank that there is an APS-C sensor camera in the future of the RF Mount.  But, so far all of the cards that Canon has played suggest that the M Series will be the mirrorless future for Canon's APS-C mirrorless bodies, a concept that twists my brain into knots because the M mount and RF mount are completely incompatible, at least so far.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements