cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading 5d mark ii

mrbodie52
Apprentice

I am wanting to upgrade my older Canon 5d mark ii camera and considering a 6d mark ii as an option.  I would especially like feedback from anyone who has made this upgrade. .Should I consider a 5d mark iii instead or just upgard to the newer 5d mark iv.   This camera would be used mostly for amateur photograph, landscapes, wildlife, and some casusal candit peoeple shots. I have the following Canon lens  24-105 f4 L (which I love), a nifty fitty  50 mm f 1.8, and a 70-200 mm f2.8 L lens.

Suggestions please

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mrbodie52 wrote:

I am wanting to upgrade my older Canon 5d mark ii camera and considering a 6d mark ii as an option.  I would especially like feedback from anyone who has made this upgrade. .Should I consider a 5d mark iii instead or just upgard to the newer 5d mark iv.   This camera would be used mostly for amateur photograph, landscapes, wildlife, and some casusal candit peoeple shots. I have the following Canon lens  24-105 f4 L (which I love), a nifty fitty  50 mm f 1.8, and a 70-200 mm f2.8 L lens.

Suggestions please

Thanks

The 5D Series has a better body build than the 6D Series, but that is neither a deal maker or breaker for me.  The cameras are more robust than I am.  I have no plans to outdoors shooting in bad weather, or some other adverse set of conditions.  From my perspective, the better build will probably mean the camera may last longer.

The 6D Mark II is a very good camera, which could easily do what you describe.  If you like wildlife, then the 6D Mk II has a very good AF system, which I have found to be very good for action photography.   It has some dust and moisture sealing, but not at thorough as the 5D Series.

But, the 6D Series has a very different rear panel layout.  For this reason I suggest that you stick with the 5D Series.  I recommend the 5D Mk IV because all of the 5D Mk III new bodies seem to sold out.  If you want a 5D Mk III, then it will most likely be a used camera body. 

That leaves two choices.  Sticking with the 5D Series and the 5D Mark IV, and the better body build.  Or, spending much less on a 6D Mark II, which will have a completely different button layout.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am wanting to upgrade my older Canon 5d mark ii camera and considering a 6d mark ii..."

"Suggestions please"  ........... of course!

Going to the 6D Mk II from a 5 series is not an upgrade.  Going from the 5D2 to a 5D Mk IV is a great upgrade.  The 6 line is the entry level Canon FF.  Sure each time a new model comes out it gets good new stuff but a 6 is not a 5 !  No way.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've compared the original 6D to the 5D II (I used to own a 5D II and a friend has a 6D).  I considered the image quality to be "about the same" (not identical, but not so different as to be easily noticed).

The 5D III is a moderate upgrade over a 5D II.  The most noticeable difference is the focusing system.

The 5D IV was a huge upgrade (the biggest for the 5D line in many years).  That's where the sensor picked up noticeable gains in dynamic range and ISO performance.  The 5D IV also picks up Dual-Pixel CMOS AF ... great for live-view or video.

Bot the 5D III and IV are noticeably more "technial" than the 5D II.  The 5D II has the same focusing system as cameras all the way back to things like the 50D, T1i, etc.  It's a simple 9 point AF system where only the center point is "cross type".   The 5D III and 5D IV have focusing systems more similar to the 1D X and 1D X II ... there's a 47 page document on JUST the focusing system capabilities.

The 6D is more of a basic camera.  It's designed to be an "entry-level" full frame body because full-frame bodies are usually very expensive.  The 6D was desigend to be an affordable full-frame body.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements