cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to a used 5DS or 5D Mark III

OniSpirit
Apprentice

Hello, I am new to this commuty and I am looking for some help. I have a barely used Canon 5D mark II. I have somewhere between 9,500 and 10,000 photos on my 5D Mark II, that I've bought refurb from Canon, Camera works great, since all I've used it for is personal use, not used for an income. However I plan on using my camera to make commercial and advertisement my coffee shop and possibly for other small businesses. I do plan on making large prints to hang from the business walls and ceiling. What I am interested in knowing what is more worthwhile in my situation. Sell my 5D Mark II for a Mark III or 5DS (most liekly used) and which one to choose? Or should I keep my 5D Mark II and invest in some better lenses. I currently have 50mm 1.4 USM, 24-70 F/2.8L IS USM, and 70-200 F/2.8L IS (not the II). Also if I where upgrade my lens, what should I get, I do some portraits, but mostly indoor and nightime city shoots, I am a fan of fast and wide angle, ultra wide angles. Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OniSpirit wrote:

Hmm, never really thoought out how large. It would most likely be in the ballpark of 5ft across horizontally.

When you print a picture that large, it starts to depend on how it will be viewed. If the viewer will be up close, you need the 5Ds (at least). If the viewer will be thirty feet away, it probably doesn't matter.

Something that may not apply in this case, but is true in general: These days many venues (offices, hospital waiting rooms, etc.) contain pictures that are too large for the space they occupy. If you can't stand back far enough to view it properly, it's too large.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

When you say "large prints", how large are you talking about?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hmm, never really thoought out how large. It would most likely be in the ballpark of 5ft across horizontally.

OniSpirit wrote:

When you print a picture that large, it starts to depend on how it will be viewed. If the viewer will be up close, you need the 5Ds (at least). If the viewer will be thirty feet away, it probably doesn't matter.

Something that may not apply in this case, but is true in general: These days many venues (offices, hospital waiting rooms, etc.) contain pictures that are too large for the space they occupy. If you can't stand back far enough to view it properly, it's too large.

Bob

OniSpirit
Apprentice
Wow that actually helps a lot. People who see it will across the street. There will other smaller pictures that will be inside the store, but about 15ft off the ground. I didn't consider how the distance can affect how the audience see the picture. Thank You. Looks like I will keep my 5D Mark II. Also what kind of lense would you recommend for ultra wide angle. Preferable under $1000.

OniSpirit wrote:
Wow that actually helps a lot. People who see it will across the street. There will other smaller pictures that will be inside the store, but about 15ft off the ground. I didn't consider how the distance can affect how the audience see the picture. Thank You. Looks like I will keep my 5D Mark II. Also what kind of lense would you recommend for ultra wide angle. Preferable under $1000.

I use the EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM. As I type this, it's on sale at [Well, sometimes the moderators get picky when we match names and prices, so let's just call it "a big Jewish store on Manhattan Island"] for $999.00. Others in this forum will sing the praises of the f/2.8 versions of this lens, and they're right. But for outdoor use (or with flash) you don't need the extra stop, and the f/4 is less expensive. So I recommend it highly.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@OniSpirit wrote:

I use the EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM. As I type this, it's on sale at [Well, sometimes the moderators get picky when we match names and prices, so let's just call it "a big Jewish store on Manhattan Island"] for $999.00. Others in this forum will sing the praises of the f/2.8 versions of this lens, and they're right. But for outdoor use (or with flash) you don't need the extra stop, and the f/4 is less expensive. So I recommend it highly.

The name of the store is B&H Photo Video.  I am fairly certain that they are the largest Canon dealer in the U.S.  The service they offer AFTER the sale is absolutely great.

Oh, yeah.  The lens.  I have the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, and absolutely love it.  I usually travel around with two camera bodies, and the lens is always mounted on one of them.  

Most reviews say the f/4L version, with IS, is sharper than the version  that I use.  I think that may be because it is a newer release.  I don't think IS is a "must have" feature on a super wide angle lens because most of the time you are focusing on relatively distant objects.  

There is also an EF 17-40mm f/4L USM lens from Canon, too.  This lens has a list price of $749.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The advice of the others is spot on, I have the 5DsR and both the 16-35 F4L & F2.8L III

For a print that large viewed from that far away the gear you have and the 16-35 F4L will be fine

If you want clarity up close in a print that large, then megapixels are what you need, then think about the 5Ds or 5DsR

Announcements