cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade recommandation from EOS 7D

clearblue
Apprentice

Hello,

I'm faily new to the DSLR world. I got an used EOS 7D with an used EF-S 18-135mm lens. I've been using it while traveling/hiking for landscapes and portrait pictures. It is a pretty heavy camera and caryring it all day is tiring. I'm looking to upgrade the body to a ligher and newer model. I will buy a used one. I'm not looking to change the lens so I would like to be able to re-use it on the new body.

What body model would you recommanend for a beginer/intermediate user? I'm looking for something to fit with the EF-S 18-135mm lens. Is there a model that has proven reliable and there are plenty available on the used market? I'm not looking for advanced features but for something ligher weight and at a decent price, around $200.

Thank you!

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@clearblue wrote:

Hello,

I'm not looking for advanced features but for something ligher weight and at a decent price, around $200.

Thank you!

Your budget is why i thought camera bag.  The basic problem is not the camera.  The problem is "carrying it all day long".

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@clearblue wrote:

Hello,

I'm not looking for advanced features but for something ligher weight and at a decent price, around $200.

Thank you!

Your budget is why i thought camera bag.  The basic problem is not the camera.  The problem is "carrying it all day long".

I agree. If you're not looking for advanced features, stick with the 7D and use your money for lenses or other equipment.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

John_SD
Whiz

"I'm not looking for advanced features but for something ligher weight and at a decent price, around $200."

A used PowerShot SX420 is what you want. Enjoy the snapshots. 

clearblue
Apprentice

Thank you! I appreciate all the answers and I read them carefully.

I have a decent toploader bag. I carry it on one sholder across the chest. This is in parallel with the regular backpack needed for the hike. I have to keep changing the sholder regulary due to the imbalance it creates.

I also looking into a backpack camera clip as it would place the weight closer the the body. This would also avoid having to take out and put the camera back in every time.

I would like to stick to a DSLR and use the lens I already have for it. The Rebel T4i sounds good. I don't really need a touch screen. I acutally prefer physical buttons. Are there any other Rebel models that stand in this limited budget?

@clearblue wrote:

I have a decent toploader bag. I carry it on one sholder across the chest. This is in parallel with the regular backpack needed for the hike. I have to keep changing the sholder regulary due to the imbalance it creates.

I also looking into a backpack camera clip as it would place the weight closer the the body. This would also avoid having to take out and put the camera back in every time.

I would like to stick to a DSLR and use the lens I already have for it. The Rebel T4i sounds good. I don't really need a touch screen. I acutally prefer physical buttons. Are there any other Rebel models that stand in this limited budget?

Don't buy a T4i without actually handling it first. The reason the T4i had such a brief lifespan (before being replaced by the T5i) is that its black plastic coating tended to deteriorate and get sticky. Not all T4i's had that problem, but you wouldn't want one of those that did.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Don't buy a T4i without actually handling it first."

I would skip the T4i idea altogether. The T5i is essentially the same camera without the issues. I do like the Powershot idea.  It sounds like that may be your best way to go. I usually have one everywhere I go. I have the G15, G16 and a G1x. I think these are all no longer made but they have replacements. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@clearblue wrote:

It stills like more of a camera bag problem than a camera problem.  A different camera won't change the holster hanging on our shoulder.  The Lowepro top loaders come with a waist strap to stabilize it.

A backpack camera clip sounds hazardous on a hike.  Not only is the camera exposed to dust, pollen, and damp leaves brushing against you and the bag.  And then there is the drop hazard risk associated with a "backpack camera clip."

Yeah, a Rebel would be a lighter body.  Your 7D is a far more robust body than any Rebel.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements