cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: Video - Canon 6D turns itself off after a few shots with fully charged battery

ddyourself
Contributor

Update: I uploaded my video to youtube, please comment:

http://youtu.be/3PNLUYd8g7A

TIA and pardon me for my English.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this originally at another forum, and somebody suggested me to post it here as well, to get more help.

Long story short, I purchased a brand new Canon 6D from B&H on Oct 24th, 2013. From early december, the camera starts to shut itself off randomly and displaying empty battery. I found the camera constantly shuts itself off after 20 - 100 continuous shots with a FULLY charged battery (right off charger, showing 8.23V using multimeter, and showing 98% in battery info).

The camera will just turn itself off in the middle of shooting, showing empty battery int the shoulder window. The solution is simple, open the battery door, then close it again, no need even to pull the battery.

So, I contacted Canon support, sent the camera to the VA service facility, waiting for it be repaired. As an engineer myself, I understand things fail, and I thought this is such an easy issue to reproduce, anybody should be able to repro it.

Couple of days later, I received a phone call to send my accessories in, no problem, debugging needs more info, that's normal. I sent my lens and stuff in. I unfortunately had to bear the cruel fact that I don't have a decent camera for the holiday, though I have a backup.

After a long wait, on 12/28the, the accessories were delivered at 9:35am. At 10am, they called me, they were sending the camera back. No issue at all. I was like, have you tested AT ALL? They didn't care, sending the camera back regardless. 

I received the camera on Jan 2nd, and saw the same issue on that day. Of course, it was NOT fixed at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I googled really hard, somebody said he had similar issue but it was a defective battery, so I got a brand new Canon battery, unfortunately, the same issue pops up again.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, the only choice for me is to send it back again.  But this time I am totally amazed by Canon.

I sent the camera in again with my lens and battery. Also, a video showing the issue on a standalone CF card (I know 6D does not take CF, just to put the video on it).

Couples of days later, they called asking for accessories, I was like, what accessories, I don't have any more.

Then the camera sit in their facility for a few days for nothing. All of sudden I received a phone call on Monday morning, said it is ready. The camera has no issue at all.

I called, asked whether they have watched the video, they told me two technicians, including a senior one, was not able to upload the video to the computer. I was like, what the hell? why the heck you need to upload it to the computer, find a card reader, plug the card in, double click, how simple is that?

I talked to the service manager over the phone, he told me that there is nothing he could do, if their technician said so. They have decided to send my camera back, NOT fixed, again. I esclated the issue again, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Honestly, I am totally pissed, how stupid can they be? I included a letter with detailed steps on how to reproduce this issue. As an engineer myself, I know how easy to reproduce this issue. But what shocked me is that they don't even know or they didn't even bother to watch the video. In the same letter, I asked/begged them to contact me if they cannot reproduce the issue instead of just sending it back unfixed.

Guys, any other ways to get their attention? I already filed a BBB complaint. For a brand new camera of 3 months old, it has been in Canon's repair shop for almost a month. Leave to say that I missed the most importand holiday season in the year. This is simply not acceptable.

45 REPLIES 45

I was hoping it is just the battery. But two out of two seems a little bit odd. Maybe I will purchase another one and see how that works.

I heard many bad sotries about this particular batter and charger, never understand why Canon cannot fix it once and for all. This does not seem to be the most difficult issue to fix.

justinrn23
Apprentice

Hi Sorry for your struggles!  I just bought a 6D last month and it is doing the same thing yours is.  I was curious if you had any resolution yet?  I am taking it back tomorrow to get a refund tomorrow since it is less than 30 days.

Hello all,

I bought a 6D 3 weeks ago and I'm having exactly the same issue.

The camera just turns off by it self and no way to turn it back on straight away.

If I'm lucky I can turn it on back after a few sec.. if not, then it will take a few minutes ..

I'm using canon batteries, the first time I was charging the batterie it took like 24h to have it fully charged ...

This camera is giving me a really hard time as I'm suppose to use it for wedding films !

Any way to resolve this annoying problem ?

I live in Germany and bought the camera in Germany aswell.

I guess I need to update this thread just for the closure. In the end, Canon showed great customer service and replaced the unit for me, though their engineers were not able to recreate the issue on their end. Maybe the electricity I used to charge the battery is not compatible 😄 You know, nuclear power 😛

I am happy with the replacement so far, and I don't seem to have the same issue yet. Though I haven't done a rigorous test .

Given there are other incidences, I am thinking there may be a bug that they just haven't figured out yet. According to my google result, this also happens on 60D as well.

Good luck everyone.

Ok, thank you for your answer...

Good to hear that you came to an end and they replaced the camera.

I contacted Canon Germany this morning and explained them the problem... so I'm waiting them to answer and for the next step.

take care and enjoy your new toy 😉

I also bought the 70D ... if this camera would be a full frame, this this one would just be a beast .. but by far, I prefere to film with the 70D.. except in low light...

mvrbnsn
Apprentice

I have been Googling trying to find a solutiont to the exact same issue.

Ordered a refurbished Canon 6D, it arrived in pristine like new condition, takes awesome pics, but randomly after a few shots when it automatically powers down it will not resume.

I tried changing the time period for it to go into sleep mode after shooting, but either way it will randomly not awaken.

A few times after pressing the shutter half way it will just die.

Battery is full and shows as being full when camera is on. However when camera powers down the battery indicator will sometimes blink as if dead battery. Other times it shows nothing at all.

Guess I'll have to return it as I called Canon and the support person said he'd not heard of such an issue.

Frustrating because even in 2018 6D is a good value, and was looking forward to getting several years use out of it.

Announcements