cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: Video - Canon 6D turns itself off after a few shots with fully charged battery

ddyourself
Contributor

Update: I uploaded my video to youtube, please comment:

http://youtu.be/3PNLUYd8g7A

TIA and pardon me for my English.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this originally at another forum, and somebody suggested me to post it here as well, to get more help.

Long story short, I purchased a brand new Canon 6D from B&H on Oct 24th, 2013. From early december, the camera starts to shut itself off randomly and displaying empty battery. I found the camera constantly shuts itself off after 20 - 100 continuous shots with a FULLY charged battery (right off charger, showing 8.23V using multimeter, and showing 98% in battery info).

The camera will just turn itself off in the middle of shooting, showing empty battery int the shoulder window. The solution is simple, open the battery door, then close it again, no need even to pull the battery.

So, I contacted Canon support, sent the camera to the VA service facility, waiting for it be repaired. As an engineer myself, I understand things fail, and I thought this is such an easy issue to reproduce, anybody should be able to repro it.

Couple of days later, I received a phone call to send my accessories in, no problem, debugging needs more info, that's normal. I sent my lens and stuff in. I unfortunately had to bear the cruel fact that I don't have a decent camera for the holiday, though I have a backup.

After a long wait, on 12/28the, the accessories were delivered at 9:35am. At 10am, they called me, they were sending the camera back. No issue at all. I was like, have you tested AT ALL? They didn't care, sending the camera back regardless. 

I received the camera on Jan 2nd, and saw the same issue on that day. Of course, it was NOT fixed at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I googled really hard, somebody said he had similar issue but it was a defective battery, so I got a brand new Canon battery, unfortunately, the same issue pops up again.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, the only choice for me is to send it back again.  But this time I am totally amazed by Canon.

I sent the camera in again with my lens and battery. Also, a video showing the issue on a standalone CF card (I know 6D does not take CF, just to put the video on it).

Couples of days later, they called asking for accessories, I was like, what accessories, I don't have any more.

Then the camera sit in their facility for a few days for nothing. All of sudden I received a phone call on Monday morning, said it is ready. The camera has no issue at all.

I called, asked whether they have watched the video, they told me two technicians, including a senior one, was not able to upload the video to the computer. I was like, what the hell? why the heck you need to upload it to the computer, find a card reader, plug the card in, double click, how simple is that?

I talked to the service manager over the phone, he told me that there is nothing he could do, if their technician said so. They have decided to send my camera back, NOT fixed, again. I esclated the issue again, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Honestly, I am totally pissed, how stupid can they be? I included a letter with detailed steps on how to reproduce this issue. As an engineer myself, I know how easy to reproduce this issue. But what shocked me is that they don't even know or they didn't even bother to watch the video. In the same letter, I asked/begged them to contact me if they cannot reproduce the issue instead of just sending it back unfixed.

Guys, any other ways to get their attention? I already filed a BBB complaint. For a brand new camera of 3 months old, it has been in Canon's repair shop for almost a month. Leave to say that I missed the most importand holiday season in the year. This is simply not acceptable.

45 REPLIES 45

@ddyourself wrote:

Anyway, it seems the battery or the charger are more likely to be the issue. Since I am seeing the same problem on two different batteries. I will try to get a replacement charger and  try if they decide to just send it back without any fix.

Before using a replacement charger, try to unseat and reseat the battery from the charger several times until the charge light keeps flashing.  That's all I had to do with my charger - I never replaced it.  When I put a battery in, it would flash for a minute or so then shows steady light, even though the battery is completely discharged.  After unseating it once or twice, it would then charge normally - you can tell because the flashing light goes on off for an hour or so (normal charging).

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Honestly, I think my charger was doing the right thing, start with slow flash, then faster flash, then eventually steady state. The whole process took around 2 hours, just as manual explained. It does not charge on the wall socket putting in the upright position, but lying flat solved that issue.

But since this issue sounds like a battery issue and the charger was never rigorously tested. I am willing to replace that first and exclude any possible issue.

However, I personally believe it is still a camera issue. Just as you suspected, the circuit or some sensor failed. But our great friends at Canon were simply not able to repro it. I have the urge to drive to their faciltiy and show it to their face.

It does not charge on the wall socket putting in the upright position,...but lying flat solved that issue."

Now I call that a strong clue!

The charger should work in any orientation. Heck, I've got four of them plugged into a multi-socket connector, angled every which way, and they all work fine right side up, upside down, vertical, horizontal or whatever. I bet you've got a bad charger and had completely forgotten you mentioned this earlier (it sort of got lost in all the frantic followups).

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

In fact, I googled a little bit, the charger not charging in one position but in another seemed not to be an unusual event.

I had a extremely long first charge, which never turned to steady light before I put it flat.

But after that, for the first month or so, probably the first two or three charges, I was able to see the battery going from 4 blocks, to 3 to 2, then to 1. So at least the charger was working. Then this sudden death issue kicked in. .. I was never able to see a 3 blocks since then, nor 2, nor 1.

Hopefully it is a just a bad charger.

Just got off phone with Canon again. They said, no, my camera is prefect, and they are sending it back.

You can imagine how furious I am.

Letter is not enough to convince them there is a problem,

phone call is not enough

video is not enough.... And they are not givinig any explanation on what happened in the video.

The only choice left for me to drive there and throw the issue on their faces.

This is basically saying I am **bleep**ing crazy sending the world best perfect camera in to waste their time. At this moment I really want to slap myself why spending money with Canon. What a bad decision!

You may be "bleeping crazy" who knows but this situation is certainly not helping! Smiley Very Happy A little levity there.

You and I must conclude there is nothing wrong with the camera, however.... Now we still need to look else where for the problem.

"The only choice left for me to drive there ..." 

How far away is the facility? I left off the throw it in there faces part. Not a good idea even though you may want to. Smiley Mad

Did they test your battery and charger like we thought? It seems there hasn't been enough time to do that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I haven't asked for a replacement, maybe I should. But I was told the camera stayed in their facility for futher inspection is simply because I didn't want to take it back last week so it was not their fault. Of course I wounldn't, the technicians didn't watch the video at that time...

Based on what I was told, Canon will not do anything until they repro it. My video is not enough to convince them there is an issue with the camera.

The battery grip is a great idea. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hi ddyourself!

We see you’re currently working with Frozine, and we recommend that you reach out to her with your concerns. She’ll be able to assist you further!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is possible it is the batteries and not the camera. I hate to advise this but try another, brand new, battery. Maybe even one not from Canon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements