Canon Community Canon Community

Re: Canon 6D turns itself off after a few shots with fully charged battery - amazing Canon service

Hi ddyourself!

We see you’re currently working with Frozine, and we recommend that you reach out to her with your concerns. She’ll be able to assist you further!

Occasional Contributor

Re: Canon 6D turns itself off after a few shots with fully charged battery - amazing Canon service

That's understandable, but as you said, random, spaced shots should not be impacted. I actually hit that issue as well, though not consistently.

In the 2-minute video I sent to Canon, the camera died twice without pushing the shutter botton at all. The first time, I simply turned the camera on, pushed the power dial from off to on.

The second time, I was going through the menu system, showing the battery info.

Again, the most consistent way to reproduce is to push the shutter around 40 shots.

VIP

I am out of suggestions. Continuous use and battery drain were my biggies. I have no explanation as to why a few spaced shots would cause it.  I do hope you get it fixed as it is a very good camera and you will love it when it is operating correctly.

BTW, a thought, even 40 continuous shots in RAW could cause this???????

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Occasional Contributor

yes, it is really a bizzar issue. I couldn't believe technicians couldn't repro it.

Talking about RAW, I actually haven't really tried 40 countinous shots in RAW alone. Most of the time I shot in JPEG in order to capture moment with my kids. Though during some repros, I have both RAW and JPEG turned on, maybe the JPEG is the problem? But that still couldn't explain why the camera died with no shots at all.

On the other hand, The camera took much better picture than my old Olympus in low light. I do hope it works.

Anyway, thank you very much for your suggestions! I passed all the information to Canon contact. I hope they can get it fixed, or maybe just replace a unit.

VIP

Please let me know. Good luck.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Reputable Contributor

[ Edited ]

It sounds as if you might have a replacement on the way or other fix in the works...

But did you ever consider the charger, rather thant the batteries?

I ask because I've heard of chargers failing, too.

I have experienced something similar myself, where camera stopped working very quickly, even though the charger showed the battery fully charged. In my case, it was different from yours. My batteries had not been used in a long, long time and were heavily discharged. Several cycles of draining them and recharging, they came back to life and took nice, full charges. But all the while the charger continued to display "full charge".

Since you are seeing increasing failures, I am not suggesting that it might be the same problem. Just pointing out that your charger might be the weak link in the chain, might even be showing a full charge although it's not delivering one. I would guess that's why the service techs asked you to include the accessories, too.... so they could test them as well. (I.e., if they were using a "good" charger, they might not have been able to duplicate the problem.... suggesting the camera and batteries are good.)

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for pointing that out!

I suspected about the charger as well initially, since I had a hard time to charge the first battery. It simply wouldn't charge in the upright position on a wall socket. But it did charge if I lay it flat. Googled and learned this is a common issue... (BTW: Canon, are you kidding me?? can't make a charger right?)

But the information I gathered from the camera itself (battery info) showing 90%+ power, for both batteries. So I think it is charged. Meanwhile, I also used a multimeter mesured the voltage, which also confirmed it was charged.

Again, thanks for the tip!

Occasional Contributor

No update from Canon today. Called the rep several times, always ended up in voicemail but never got a call back. Though she told me that the engineer was planned to provide an update yesterday. I will keep you all updated.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Still no update yet. It has been a whole week since the camera was sent to a special unit for further inspection, or just watch the video I sent with; and almost 3 weeks since I sent it in, the second time!

Honestly speaking, I am very upset with the whole experience. Not only I am losing the value of the camera everyday, but also I am missing a lot of precious moments with my babies. I purchased this 6D solely for capturing their growth, and babies do grow fast. My backup EOS-M is simply too slow for them.

I am also fairly frustrated with the service received. I didn't get any call back until I asked to speak to a supervisor. My voicemails were simply ignored each time. I was pretty much told not to call in again until been called since there would no update until I am called.  I was told the special unit has too many work ahead of my camera. But really? A whole week of backlog, then Canon probably needs to hire more engineers.

Let me be frank, 6D is not a cheap camera. The service I received simply does not match the price tag. Will my next camera be Canon again? I highly doubt. Will my friends get a Canon? They have to seriously evaluate my experience.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

I called in again today and was told engineers at Canon faciltiy simply was not able to reproduce the issue.  I am still waiting for an explanation on what happened in the video. And here is the video I sent to Canon. Please comment.

Again, this is a new battery manufactured in Nov 2013, and fully charged. The camera fails similarly on another battery manufactured in Dec 2012.

http://youtu.be/3PNLUYd8g7A

TIA and pardon me for my English.