cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB broken/bent pin on Canon EOS 40D

rft_canon
Contributor

It seems that Canon quality is on poor side.  I have a EOS 40D.  I have had one for about 5 years.  Today I found that a pin in the USB port seems bent or maybe broken.  Up until this year, I only occasionally used the USB port  Instead I would pull the memory card to get at the pictures.  This year, I have been using the SUB exclusively, at least once per day and sometimes more.  I WOULD NOT EXPECT TO HAVE THE USB FAIL AFTER A 1/2 YEAR OF USE -- MAYBE 200-300 times over the life of the camera.  I am careful when I plug and unplug.  Canon engineers were NOT careful in selecting a quality product..  The USB port should last for 1000's of ins and outs!.

Now, is there a way to change the USB?  If not why not?  If Canon is going to use such a cheap, inferior part, they could at least make it easy to replace the part.  HOW DO I CHANGE THE PART AND WHERE DO I GET THE PART?

I was considering getting a 60D replacement or a 70D when it comes out.  I am becoming extremely leery about buying more Canon products of any kind after this problem, a problem with the on-camera flash(solved), a comments on a Powershot camera I was considering.  Is Canon OBSOLETE?  Or just BROKEN!

Again, is there a way to change the USB?  If not why not?  If Canon is going to use such a cheap, inferior part, they could at least make it easy to replace the part.  HOW DO I CHANGE THE PART AND WHERE DO I GET THE PART?

I do not apologize for any editorializing I have done regarding Canon's poor quality.  Sending the camera to Canon to be fixed and paying for shipping and paying for repairs for a poor quality part is not something I will do.

8 REPLIES 8

diverhank
Authority

The warranty has long gone out after 5 years...if everything I own last 5 years I'd be grateful.  I'm sorry but you are not the only one who can vent.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I don't care about the warranty. That is not my complaint. 5 years means absolutely nothing and if you are grateful that anything lasts 5 years, good for you.

THE ISSUE: the USB port on the camera is not made to last. It is not designed to be easily fixed. It is crap.

I have used mine for 6+ years on a 30D for tethering shooting. And it's still working fine. I find myself using card reader more lately. I'm sorry but I think a bent USB port is more of user error.  It's not worth to get it fixed. Just use a card reader to transfer images. For tether shooting, you're out of luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I used my 400D for 7+ years, with a ton of tethered shoot - still works fine.

+1 for user error.

It very well could be user error, but there are more robust USB ports on other devices. Out of curiosity, how many times have you plugged/unplugged the USB cable into your camera?

silly questoin

bad coffee this morning ?

Tim
Authority

Hello rft_canon!

The USB ports on our camera systems are not a typical area of failure.  We certainly apologize that you have run into these issues and are here to support you in getting them fixed.  You mention wanting to fix this yourself, but I should tell you that we don't recommend that you attempt to repair the unit yourself.  

Our recommendation is that you find a local Authorized Service Facility to conduct the repairs or consider our Canon Loyalty Program.  If you still wish to purchase parts, you can order from our Jamesburg Parts Order Center.  They can provide you with the price and availability of the parts you're requesting.  You may call them at (866) 481-2569 between 9 am and 7 pm ET, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). 

Please note that we are unable to provide you with instructions on how to conduct repairs, and you assume the responsibility of replacing parts.  Replacing the part may or may not resolve the issue you are experiencing, and the parts are not returnable. 

To set up service for the EOS 40D, we suggest using the repair form on our web site

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available through our Support Site.  Please use this to Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements