cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT HELP NEEDED (6D Mark II)

vi0letdreamer
Apprentice

So I got the Canon EOS 6D Mark II in the mail recently and have done two shoots with it so far. The images always show up on the camera but when I try to transfer them to my laptop via SD card, the thumbnails/images won't show and the files can't be opened by Photoshop or any other program I have (that I have never had a problem with using for RAW files before). I thought it could be an SD card issue at first, my card was kinda beat up and a couple years old, so I got a new one (Sandisk Extreme 32gb), made sure to format it, and tried again but the result was the same. The file names are unlike ones I'm used to seeing, for example some from the second shoot I tried are _MG_8656, _MG_8657, etc. The card is new so I don't know why this is happening. There's also a chance it could be an issue with my SD card slot after my laptop has been fixed so many times, but the files themselves seem to transfer fine, it's just that they're corrupted(?) somehow; I also don't have access to another computer to see if they'll upload elsewhere. It seems likely to be an issue with the camera but I've tried googling around and no one else seems to be having this problem. Does anybody know what could be wrong/how to fix it? I have a photoshoot with a model in literally 12 hours and will have to use my T5 if I can't fix this.

Edit: Got rid of my pirated version of Photoshop and started paying for it so I could get the updates, all is well now except I still can't see the thumbnails in file explorer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@vi0letdreamer wrote:

So I got the Canon EOS 6D Mark II in the mail recently and have done two shoots with it so far. The images always show up on the camera but when I try to transfer them to my laptop via SD card, the thumbnails/images won't show and the files can't be opened by Photoshop or any other program I have (that I have never had a problem with using for RAW files before). I thought it could be an SD card issue at first, my card was kinda beat up and a couple years old, so I got a new one (Sandisk Extreme 32gb), made sure to format it, and tried again but the result was the same. The file names are unlike ones I'm used to seeing, for example some from the second shoot I tried are _MG_8656, _MG_8657, etc. The card is new so I don't know why this is happening. There's also a chance it could be an issue with my SD card slot after my laptop has been fixed so many times, but the files themselves seem to transfer fine, it's just that they're corrupted(?) somehow; I also don't have access to another computer to see if they'll upload elsewhere. It seems likely to be an issue with the camera but I've tried googling around and no one else seems to be having this problem. Does anybody know what could be wrong/how to fix it? I have a photoshoot with a model in literally 12 hours and will have to use my T5 if I can't fix this.

The underline at the front of the file name indicates that you have the colorspace set to Adobe RGB or other extended colorspace rather than the standard RGB colorspace.

You need to update to Adobe Camera RAW 9.12 that supports the 6D Mk II, or download Adobe DNG Converter 9.12 which also supports the Canon 6D Mk II. 

I also recommend you install the Canon software that came with the camera as it might have the CODEC you need for your computer to display the files. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I don't think there is anything actually "wrong" with your camera.  I suspect that you are just unfamiliar with it. 

The reason your files start with the underscore character is because of the Adobe color space that you are using.  Seeing how this is not the default setting, then your camera is set this way because it has been changed.  This is pretty standard behavior for Canon DSLRs.

Seeing how you are reporting that the RAW files cannot be opened on your laptiop, then I will conclude that they are transferring just fine, which once again means there is nothing wrong with the camera.

As for not being able to open the files on your laptop goes, you report that it has been "fixed so many times", that I would conclude that this could be the issue.  Try shooting JPEGs, which you should be able to open.  Next, try updating the unknown Operating System on your laptop.

Finally, try reading the manual before you take a new and unfamiliar camera on a photo shoot.  Take you T5, anyway.  Only use familiar gear on an important photo shoot.  Using new stuff that you do not fully understand is setting yourself up for failure.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Wadizzle is correct about the file prefix. It's actually an industry standard, not just Canon. 

The 6D Mark II is a brand new camera model and it is going to take a while for any software other than Canon provided DPP to read and process the RAW files. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@vi0letdreamer wrote:

The underline at the front of the file name indicates that you have the colorspace set to Adobe RGB or other extended colorspace rather than the standard RGB colorspace.

You need to update to Adobe Camera RAW 9.12 that supports the 6D Mk II, or download Adobe DNG Converter 9.12 which also supports the Canon 6D Mk II. 

I also recommend you install the Canon software that came with the camera as it might have the CODEC you need for your computer to display the files. 

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

As others have said, you have to update the software on your computer to be able to recognize RAW files since you have a brand new camera model and not everybody supports it yet.

Adobe does support it... but you have to be on latest software.  

See:   https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I'm on Windows 10, with Canon DPP installed (just now), and 6D Mark ii.

Is there a plugin or some other item that can be downloaded to allow Windows 10 Photos to view the images?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Google fastpictureviewer codec
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements