Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Trying to Understand the 5D Mk IV GPS Coordinates

This all started when I went to name an image and could not remember where I had taken it. Using Windows file explorer, I right clicked on the file, went to properties and then details where it showed latitude, longitude and altitude.

62° 7' 26.86"
7° 4' 47.66”

I naïvely assumed that I could enter that into Google maps and find my location! I didn’t realize it was this complicated.

Yes, I could’ve used Canon‘s map program but I didn’t want install another program for a one time use.

kvbarkley showed me how to properly format it for Google, but then it put me into Norway. It got the latitude right, but not the longitude.

Finally, I added a minus sign to the longitude and it put me in the correct spot in the Faroe Islands.

I’m not sure why the information embedded in the image file didn’t have the minus sign in the coordinates or include an east/west?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trying to Understand the 5D Mk IV GPS Coordinates

@thompsoncd wrote:

I’m not sure why the information embedded in the image file didn’t have the minus sign in the coordinates or include an east/west?

I am confident the info embedded in the file was absolutely coded correctly.  That's not the issue (the camera is doing it right).

The issue is... apparently Windows File Explorer either doesn't seem to understand how to correctly read the data ... or just doesn't display it correctly.

Canon DPP4 would get it right.

Adobe Lightroom would get it right. 

Even the file viewer builtin my Mac gets it right.

(for the very same file -- correctly either showing the "W" vs. "E" and "N" vs. "S" ... or correctly showing the minus sign.  Both Apple and Adobe even show the spot on a map when you view the GPS info on a photo.)

What version of Windows are you using? 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da