cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Understand the 5D Mk IV GPS Coordinates

thompsoncd
Contributor

I wanted to know the exact location of an image I created and so I got the GPS info from the metadata, it said:

Longitude 62; 7; 26.8619

Latitude 7; 4; 47.6579

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to enter this into Google Maps to see my location.

Google says there are three ways to enter this into Maps, but the Canon data doesn't seen to match any of their formats:

• Degrees, minutes, and seconds (DMS): 41°24'12.2"N 2°10'26.5"E
  • Degrees and decimal minutes (DMM): 41 24.2028, 2 10.4418
  • Decimal degrees (DD): 41.40338, 2.17403

Does anyone know how to translate the Canon data into something Google Maps can understand?

Each time I try entering it, it says I was in the Phillipines (I was not!).

Thanks for any help someone could offer!

Cole

11 REPLIES 11

thompsoncd
Contributor
This all started when I went to name an image and could not remember where I had taken it. Using Windows file explorer, I right clicked on the file, went to properties and then details where it showed latitude, longitude and altitude.

62° 7' 26.86"
7° 4' 47.66”

I naïvely assumed that I could enter that into Google maps and find my location! I didn’t realize it was this complicated.

Yes, I could’ve used Canon‘s map program but I didn’t want install another program for a one time use.

kvbarkley showed me how to properly format it for Google, but then it put me into Norway. It got the latitude right, but not the longitude.

Finally, I added a minus sign to the longitude and it put me in the correct spot in the Faroe Islands.

I’m not sure why the information embedded in the image file didn’t have the minus sign in the coordinates or include an east/west?

@thompsoncd wrote:

I’m not sure why the information embedded in the image file didn’t have the minus sign in the coordinates or include an east/west?

I am confident the info embedded in the file was absolutely coded correctly.  That's not the issue (the camera is doing it right).

The issue is... apparently Windows File Explorer either doesn't seem to understand how to correctly read the data ... or just doesn't display it correctly.

Canon DPP4 would get it right.

Adobe Lightroom would get it right. 

Even the file viewer builtin my Mac gets it right.

(for the very same file -- correctly either showing the "W" vs. "E" and "N" vs. "S" ... or correctly showing the minus sign.  Both Apple and Adobe even show the spot on a map when you view the GPS info on a photo.)

What version of Windows are you using? 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements