cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with memory card

Ploog
Contributor

Hello,

I just bought the eos 6D Mark II.  I formatted the card which came with the camera, but the counter still shows 1999 no matter what.  Any suggestions? Thanks so much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is nothing wrong with the camera. It is a limitation of the top LCD panel. There is limited space to display the number of possible shots remaining, so it maxes out at 1999.

It will stay at that display (1999) until you take enough photos to be under 1999 remaining, and then the count will decrement downward. With a large SD card, there are many more than 1999 photos remaining when you first start using it, but the display can only display up to 1999.

I don't have a 6D II, but on my 80D, the top LCD display is limited on how many possible shots can be taken, but if I press the Info button to show the first info screen, it will display the all the possible shots remaining on the back LCD panel.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Thank you for your response.  I followed the instructions but still no luck.  

@Ploog wrote:

Thank you for your response.  I followed the instructions but still no luck.  

What end result are you expecting?  

What brand and model memory card do you have?  If you have a micro-SD card with an adapter, then I suggest that you stop using it and buy a regular full size card that does not require an adapter.  I use Sandisk Extreme 64 GB UHS-I memory cards.

BTW, when i format a memory card, my camera displays “ 1999 “ shots remaining. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I understand that it will say 1999 shots remaining, but it continues to say that no matter how many photos I take.I’m using the card that came with the camera; SanDisk Ultra SDXC UHS-I.

I’m not unfamiliar with DSLR cameras, but this one is more complex than my other and I am having to put time intro learning it.   It bugs me that I can’t solve this issue!

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is nothing wrong with the camera. It is a limitation of the top LCD panel. There is limited space to display the number of possible shots remaining, so it maxes out at 1999.

It will stay at that display (1999) until you take enough photos to be under 1999 remaining, and then the count will decrement downward. With a large SD card, there are many more than 1999 photos remaining when you first start using it, but the display can only display up to 1999.

I don't have a 6D II, but on my 80D, the top LCD display is limited on how many possible shots can be taken, but if I press the Info button to show the first info screen, it will display the all the possible shots remaining on the back LCD panel.

Thanks!  Frustration resolved.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Ploog wrote:

Hello,

I just bought the eos 6D Mark II.  I formatted the card which came with the camera, but the counter still shows 1999 no matter what.  Any suggestions? Thanks so much

I suggest that you read the Instruction Manual.  That is normal.  The highest number that can be displayed by the “remaining shots” counter is 1999.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Though it is kind of fun to see what image parameters make the number go up and down. Assuming the same image size, ISO makes the average JPEG size change dramatically.

Peter
Authority
Authority
Seems I misunderstood the question. Waddizzle is right.
Announcements