cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with low light action shots on 70d

AMMAPAPA1
Apprentice

I just went from a T3i to a 70D. I seem to have trouble with action shots in low light situations, any suggestions on setting...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@KeithR wrote:

@cicopo wrote:

You might find some ideas here.

A better idea would be for the OP to give us some idea of what he means by "trouble". Without knowing what the actual problem is, making any suggestions is going to be a waste of time.

More information would help.  But I will confidently bet my money on the trouble being "my pictures are blurry" and/or dark.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ScottyP
Authority
Hi,

What lenses are you using? What kind of action, exactly?

Fast action in low light is the ultimate challenge for a camera. It is what drives people to spend $10k to $20k and up on wide aperture lenses and full frame camera bodies.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/Help-me-with-night-football-on-a-Eos-T3i/m-p/125057#U125057

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

A better idea would be for the OP to give us some idea of what he means by "trouble". Without knowing what the actual problem is, making any suggestions is going to be a waste of time.

@KeithR wrote:

@cicopo wrote:

More information would help.  But I will confidently bet my money on the trouble being "my pictures are blurry" and/or dark.

Most likely - but we're still guessing, and apparently it's not so important to the OP that our guessing will be worth the effort.

Thank you for your comments, sorry out of town. I am using the EFS 18-135 that came with the camera. When bright day light I get great shots. most of my shots are softball or soccer (grandkids). The problem in the low light is that I cannot do a burst of shots like in day light. any suggestions on settings. I'm new at this so please bear with me on the lingo , thanks again

"I am using the EFS 18-135 that came with the camera"

This is most of your problem.  It is too slow.  Smiley Sad Way too slow, as a f2.8 constant aperture or faster is really what you want.  A camera can do only so much with what it is given.  Than you need to increase the light either artifically (flash, etc) or faster lenses (f2.8 or lower nimber).

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

sorry for being vague. I like to take multiple shots at once and I dont seem to be able to do that on automatic, when I use "P" for the multiple shots they are darker whether on action or still ??

that link was VERY helpful. Thanks so much will try
Announcements