cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer GPS Trace to Memory Card

derek_bartram
Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to get GPS traces off a Canon 5D Mk IV...

The camera has been set in mode 2, and images are showing as having geo-tagged locations.

I went into the GPS options menu and directed the camera to transfer the traces to the CF card - this took a minute or so.

I plugged the camera into a PC, but other than the images being on the card as before, I can't find any new files, let alone the expect *.log files.

Any idea where the log files should appear on the card? And why they don't appear to be there!?!

Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18

derek_bartram
Contributor

Ok, some progress...

The files are located in MISC > GPS... however, if you connect the camera to the PC using the cable, then that folder isn't shown (it's not hidden either, it's simply not there); the only way to access the folder appears to be remove the memory card and use a card reader. 

Does anyone know how to get the GPS files off the camera using just the USB cable and camera?

@derek_bartram wrote:

Ok, some progress...

The files are located in MISC > GPS... however, if you connect the camera to the PC using the cable, then that folder isn't shown (it's not hidden either, it's simply not there); the only way to access the folder appears to be remove the memory card and use a card reader. 

Does anyone know how to get the GPS files off the camera using just the USB cable and camera?

What software are you using to look at the camera? If the files are there but you're not seeing them, it has to be the software that's in the way. The closer you can get to the operating system, the better your chances probably are. That's what you're doing when you use a card reader.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Robert.

I'm using Windows Explorer when viewing via-cable and via-cardreader... it looks like the camera doesn't present the folder to Windows when plugged in. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I cannot speak for a 5D Mark IV, but the 6D requires that the GPS be enabled when you download the RAW files from the camera, if you want to transfer the complete GPS data.  The 5D4 could be the same way.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Waddizzle,

I permenantly leave mine in mode-2, so GPS was on (and indeed locked to location) as well. I've seen a couple of sources also suggesting GPS has to be 'on' for the Mk IV, but that's not it. A quick test suggests that the 'on' requirement only applies to when you transfer the locations from the camera to the memory card in the first place - for copying the log files off, the GPS shouldn't matter (in theory).

In theory, it does not hurt to try it, either.  Having GPS turned on during file transfers seems to be how Canon DSLRs seem to work.  .

I am not sure if the GPS is turned on or not when using Mode 2 during file transfers.  I haven’t tested that with my. 6D Mark II, yet.  I rarely use the GPS, actually.  It is not like I am out in wild, taking photographs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mode 2 is GPS by definition - it's GPS tracking while camera switch to powered.

Mode 1 is GPS on always (even when camera switched to off).

Not tried copying GPS tracks to memory card while GPS is off, but that's not the issue. You can't see the GPS folder with camera plugged in via USB in any combination of GPS on/off (so it appears).

@derek_bartram wrote:

Mode 2 is GPS by definition - it's GPS tracking while camera switch to powered.

Mode 1 is GPS on always (even when camera switched to off).

Not tried copying GPS tracks to memory card while GPS is off, but that's not the issue. You can't see the GPS folder with camera plugged in via USB in any combination of GPS on/off (so it appears).

Can you see the GPS folder if you use EOS Utility instead of Windows Explorer to look for it? You said you can see it on the card if you use a card reader, right?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Can't see the GPS folder in EOS utility either.

If the camera files shouldn't be accessed via Windows Explorer, then why the hell is it mounted as a mass storage device - that's just poor design.

I don't use EOS Utility to copy files as it has a serious flaw which hides file copying errors, which means you can (and I have) lost files. It's a poorly coded piece of software, that despite several bug reports, Canon has still failed to fix.

*Found another file copy bug with my camera - second new Canon in a row, which can't be trusted.

Announcements