cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torn between 7D and 60D.

Rheabird
Apprentice
Hi everyone, I'm looking to upgrade from my rebel T3 and I'm not sure which camera to buy. The 7D or the 60D?
10 REPLIES 10

ScottyP
Authority

Hi Rheabird. 

What kind of shooting do you do?  Both cameras have exactly the same 18mp sensor, and both are a bit larger and have more convenient external controls than a T3.

If you shoot sports or fast moving kids playing, or if you bang your camera on rocks in the rain, go with the 7D.   It has a really advanced autofocus system for catching fast subjects.  It has a magnesium metal body and weather sealing for bumps and splashes.

If you do not shoot fast-moving things, and you are not a habitual camera-dropper, and you stay out of the rain, you could be quite happy with the 60D.  The 60D also has a tilt-out LCD screen which is handy for video if you shoot much, and occasionally for odd things like shooting over your head or down on the ground, or even for ease of use on a tripod.  But I would not make a decision based on the tilt-screen.

Price:  You can get a 60D for $700 to $800 dollars now.  A 7D will still cost you from about $1,050 to $1,200.

The price difference being slight, I think I might prefer to stretch just a few hundred dollars to get the 7D for the autofucus and weather sealing. 

Hope that is of some help.  Good luck!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Agree with Scott's assessment /recommendation & can add that the 7D shoots at a higher FPS too. It's quite capable when it comes to sports & action when set up correctly.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Also agree with ScottyP. If you find yourself leaning towards the 60D, hang in there a little bit longer and see if there is an announcement for the 70D. Rumour is there will an announcement before the end of the month.

One other benefit the 7D has over the 60D is AFMA (the ability to fine tune your body and lens to optimize more precise AF). I have a hunch the 70D will have AFMA. There was talk about the 70D returning more in line where the 50D left off.

but the 7D doesn't use an SD card 😞

@ctn830 wrote:
but the 7D doesn't use an SD card 😞

..and that's a good thing for me.  Why do you prefer SD over CF?

Edit:  Ahhh, see your answer on the next topic.  I'll take speed any day over eye-fi.  I guess I'm old school, don't care about WiFi or even GPS even though I think GPS has a valid purpose.   I do use SD on my 5D mk III, RAW to CF, and jpg to SD.

Have you considered the 6D?

I like SD becuase of it being compatible with eye-fi. but yes you are right with speed. But rumor is they're updating 7D this year. maybe it will get an SD card. I have considered the 6D and would love it. But $1900 is much too expensive for me

Many are expecting a 7D mkII and a 70D from Canon soon. You may want to hold out for a bit longer and see what these modles have to offer .

definitely

I bought the 6D and love it for 90% of what I shoot.  It beats the crops for low light/high ISO, and it gets shallow DOF out of an f/4 lens that is as good as f/2.8 on the crop.  The only thing it could be better at would be fast action and sports.

For that reason, I think I may wait until the 7D2 comes out (and then wait 6 months for the price to drop) and buy one as a 2nd body.  Between the (presumably) great AF ability, and also the crop sensor's 1.6x focal length telephoto "bonus", it would really complement my 6D and make a nice set.  Or heck, maybe I'll just get a used 7D if the 7D2 is not much of an improvement over the original.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements