cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This question is backward from what I see asked most often. What I want to do is find a modern lens.

dolfinwriter
Contributor

This question is backward from what I see asked most often, and I'm not even sure how to search on this question.

What I want to do is find a modern 18-135 (or so) zoom lens for my Canon EOS 750 film camera. I destroyed my previous lens on a vacation to New Orleans some years ago, but the camera body survived. I don't remember the specs on that one, but I loved its versatility

I would also be willing to buy an EF lens from back in the day, made for that camera, if I can find one. But with all the digital stuff out there, I'm not sure which one would work anymore. I've been searching ebay and Amazon for EF Zoom lens, but it most coming up are for DSLR.

I actually have an EOS T3i with an 18-135mm lens, but I have to sell it because we are downsizing our life (wife laid off and money is tight, and selling everything that ain't nailed down). I gave up on trying to sell the 750 years ago and realized that I can still get film and batteries for it, but I just need a new lens so that I can use it.

My battery is dead in my 750 as I write this, so I have go get a new battery to even see if the lense from my DSLR will work. But even so, I still have to still buy another lens, because this one goes with the T3i when I sell it.

12 REPLIES 12

I can see your point of view.  

But I've done some cost analysis on film in the past.  While the particulars will vary, I found that the cost of buying the film plus the cost of paying for processing worked out to somewhere around $15 per roll.

Shoot 10 rolls of film... there goes $150.

You can see that it wouldn't take much before that becomes a the greater financial expense.  The cost of "buying" the film camera is lower... but the cost of "using" the film camera is ultimately higher (unless you vary rarely use it.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I'm with you on the math, and believe me I've considered that.

Consider also that we do from time to time put digital image files on a CD or thumb drive or SD card and go get prints for a live, hard copy photo album, or for family members like my dad who I know will NEVER own or operate a computer. You have to add that cost to your equation.

Remember also that I still have five 24 exp./rolls of film and a 36 In the camera. The math is still in my favor for a little while.

But in any event, that takes time to play out, and right now I need the $$ more immediately.

I may very well end up paying more in the long run to do it this way. But right now I need the $$ worse. Besides, I forced myself to research and learn some things that I should have educated myself on years ago.

My asking this forum was never intended to substitute for educating myself, but to supplement it, to seed my searches if you will.

Thank you

hsbn
Whiz

You can get Canon EF 35-135mm USM Lens for around $90 or less on ebay. Or if you want wider version then get the EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM for the same price.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements