cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of upgrading from my T3i.

Liz22012
Contributor
Thinking of upgrading from my T3i. I like the 7d a lot but do I get the older 7d or wait and get the 7dii?
14 REPLIES 14

cicopo
Elite

It's rather important that we know why you feel the need to upgrade, what lenses you have & what your photographic interests are. The more we know the easier it is to give good advice.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@Liz22012 wrote:
Thinking of upgrading from my T3i. I like the 7d a lot but do I get the older 7d or wait and get the 7dii?

The 7D is a fine camera. I own two and have gotten excellent performance from them. The 7D2 is an even better camera, with several important performance enhancements. So it comes down to how much you're willing to spend and how much of a bargain hound you are. Because the 7D2 has been so well received, there should be some good prices on new or refurbished 7D's.

Remember, though, that either camera needs a top-notch lens to achieve its full potential. (Not that your T3i doesn't; it has, I believe, the same sensor as the 7D.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

cale_kat
Mentor

I think the 70D is a better value than the 7D for most photographers. Better low light and autofocus performance. Better video features like the dual pixel autofocus and tilt screen. Consumer friendly features like wifi. It's a very well rounded camera.

Canon has the 70D refurbished on sale at its store for just over $800. That is a very very good price for that model and it comes with a 1-year warranty against defects.

Good luck with whatever you choose

If you are thinking of upgrading via the Canon eStore - refurb or new - call them and ask about the Loyalty Program.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Thinking of upgrading from my T3i."

If it were me and I wanted to upgrade my T3i, it would be because I wanted a more robust camera.  The output from the T3i and 7D will be nearly the same.  But there is where the sinilarity ends.  The Rebel line is consumer grade.  The 7D line is pro grade at the very least advanced amateur.  Yes, everything will be better but you must decide.

I would skip the xxD series as it just isn't that "better build" that is the real difference.

If you can swing the 7D Mk II, all the better.  Go for it, you will love it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Thinking of upgrading from my T3i."

If it were me and I wanted to upgrade my T3i, it would be because I wanted a more robust camera.  The output from the T3i and 7D will be nearly the same.  But there is where the sinilarity ends.  The Rebel line is consumer grade.  The 7D line is pro grade at the very least advanced amateur.  Yes, everything will be better but you must decide.

I would skip the xxD series as it just isn't that "better build" that is the real difference.

That's all true enough, but I think it glosses over one of the important differences between the Rebel line and the more expensive cameras: the latter have much more convenient controls. That convenience comes at a price (and not just in $$): the better cameras are considerably larger and heavier. That's OK with some and not with others; it's why my wife carries a T2i instead of a 7D. Robustness is important, but it isn't the only consideration.

Bob

Bob from Boston,

Yes, sir, you are correct.

And exactly why I always add the caveat; "Yes, everything will be better but you must decide."

In some situations a bigger, heavier camera is all that will do, however.  Plastic and easily moveable dials are not welcome.

Ernie for Kansas

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Ernie for Kansas

Looking forward to the NCAA Tournament, are we? Jeez, man, we haven't even gotten the Patriots into the Superbowl yet!

Bob

"... haven't even gotten the Patriots into the Superbowl"

You will, I have little doubt.

The Basketball Jayhawks have more Big 12 Championships then they have regular game loses at Allen Fieldhouse.  I will be in the Alimni pep band for the game with Kent next week.  I play two games a year.  Smiley Very Happy   Rock-chaulk......

EB
Announcements