cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of buying zoom lense for my T5i

joe007
Contributor

I am a novice with a camera. I just bought a T5i kit that has a zoom lense 55 to 250. I am considering the sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM.

I am going to use it for my granson's hockey and football games and I love to take picture of birds in the wild. Any and all thoughts would be apreciated.

Joe

Joe
5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

That is a dandy lens for the money. Consider a tripod purchase with it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Most amateur indoor hockey games have poor lighting. A 70-200mm lens with a 2.8 maximum aperture would work best for conditions like that.  Even at f/2.8 you will probably have to shoot at ISO 1600 or 3200.

f/2.8 is two stops faster than f/5.6 and it would allow you to increase the shutter speed from something like 1/125  to 1/500.

200mm is really not long enough for wildlife so you'll  have to decide which is more important: Reach or fast aperture... 

Mike Sowsun

"Reach or fast aperture..."

And price!!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

The 120-400 will work well for outdoor, daytime football games and for birding.

It will be less useful for indoor hockey. Previous post is correct, you will likely want an f2.8 or faster lens for that. With hockey you can generally get closer, too... so might not need as long telephoto. A 70-200/2.8 is a good idea. 85/1.8 and 135/2 are also popular lenses with hockey shooters. The biggest problem with hockey is having to shoot through scratched up Lexan... that will ruin a lot of your images.

You don't have to get a tripod for the 100-400. You might want a monopod if it gets heavy. But frankly I shoot 6, 8 and even 10 hour + sessions with two cameras, both fitted with relatively similar size/weight lenses, I ain't no Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Well finally took the plunge and bought the canon 70 200 EF ii  ..

Just bought on line the 2.x extender should get that in a couple of days.

Joe
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements