cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about the EOS R

PetterJhon
Apprentice

With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how the Sony a7III is so much better than the canon offering, my question is, wouldn't you still be better off getting the canon R to be able to use native glass and lenses like the 28-70 f2. Are those lenses possible on the sony mount? Canon glass always seems better than the competition and as everyone in any photography forum points out glass matters much more than the camera body.

Also as a landscape photographer the variable neutral density filter would encourage me to shoot with EF lenses and that adapter for some time. Besides this camera seems like a slight upgrade to the 5D at a price around or less than what the 5D sells for used.

Canon could have done more, and probably should have but they seem to rely on selling their system through their lenses rather than camera specs

18 REPLIES 18

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@PetterJhon wrote:

With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how the Sony a7III is so much better than the canon offering, my question is, wouldn't you still be better off getting the canon R to be able to use native glass and lenses like the 28-70 f2. Are those lenses possible on the sony mount? Canon glass always seems better than the competition and as everyone in any photography forum points out glass matters much more than the camera body.

Also as a landscape photographer the variable neutral density filter would encourage me to shoot with EF lenses and that adapter for some time. Besides this camera seems like a slight upgrade to the 5D at a price around or less than what the 5D sells for used.

Canon could have done more, and probably should have but they seem to rely on selling their system through their lenses rather than camera specs

Another bogus post from someone peddling crapware - Mods, please delete this trash.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

@PetterJhon wrote:

Another bogus post from someone peddling crapware - Mods, please delete this trash.

I don't get that at all. Did you possibly reply to the wrong post?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hey, Bob & Shadowsports! I've removed the offending post. I meant to remove it earlier. I'm sorry about that. The user's been banned, too. 

A 35mm macro on a full frame is pretty useless because of the working distance, besides I hardly consider 0.5X very "macro".

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Why are there two identical posts from two different users?
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Looks like you spotted a spambot for us.  We found three threads all leading with the exact same post but from three different accounts.  Each user's been banned, but since the topic they addressed has brought about some helpful discussions, we're keeping one copy of the post and we've merged all the replies into a single thread.  Thanks for letting us know!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Everyone has different needs.  The R is a nice camera, but not something I would ever consider.  One of the biggest issues for me is its battery life. 

The 5D4 costs more, yes.  Why, because its a better camera. If it wasn't then it wouldn't cost 1.5 times more than an R.

The R <> 5D4 debate has been discussed to infinity, here and elsewhere.  At the end of the day, I know what i would carry and for what reasons.  I wouldn't carry a sony for any reason, but it too has its own merits I'm sure. 

If the R meets your needs great, buy it.  Shortly you will have 1 and then another new R series body to consider.  If it were me and I wanted mirrorless, I'd wait. R5 & 6

***The revamping of the battery system alone is enough to make me wait.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

The R <> 5D4 debate has been discussed to infinity, here and elsewhere.  At the end of the day, I know what i would carry and for what reasons.  I wouldn't carry a sony for any reason, but it too has its own merits I'm sure. 

If the R meets your needs great, buy it.  Shortly you will have 1 and then another new R series body to consider.  If it were me and I wanted mirrorless, I'd wait. R5 & 6

***The revamping of the battery system alone is enough to make me wait.   

You have it right. I too rejected the R for various reasons --  among them are the widely panned touch bar (I doubt we'll ever see it again on a Canon mirrorless), and the lackluster battery life. The R was overpriced relative to the competition, but it's price has since dropped into more competitive territory. The Sony A73 is great for the money, but the menu system and GUI were designed in an insane asylum. Thus, I too am waiting for the R5 and the initial reviews. And we wont have to wait long. However, I suspect that we are looking at around $3500+ for the body alone. If the 5 is not up to snuff, I personally would go with a Z6 or Z7. The firmware updates helped them a lot. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Canon lenses can work on Sony E mount bodies with the correct adapter. Canon lenses work best on Canon bodies, including the newer RF lenses, which cannot be adapted to Sony.

Another issue with Sony mirror less bodies seems to be they have a very strong tendency to collect dirt and dust on the image sensors. Sony is the only brand that is having this type of issue: not Nikon, not Fuji, not anyone.

My best buddy has a Sony A7something and says he cleans his camera before every shoot. He has stopped changing lenses in the field because he does not want to stop mid-shoot to clean his sensor.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements