cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about the EOS R

PetterJhon
Apprentice

With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how the Sony a7III is so much better than the canon offering, my question is, wouldn't you still be better off getting the canon R to be able to use native glass and lenses like the 28-70 f2. Are those lenses possible on the sony mount? Canon glass always seems better than the competition and as everyone in any photography forum points out glass matters much more than the camera body.

Also as a landscape photographer the variable neutral density filter would encourage me to shoot with EF lenses and that adapter for some time. Besides this camera seems like a slight upgrade to the 5D at a price around or less than what the 5D sells for used.

Canon could have done more, and probably should have but they seem to rely on selling their system through their lenses rather than camera specs

18 REPLIES 18

All of Wadizzles points are valid.

EOS R (only if I had to).  If you can hold out.. I'd wait.  The R and RP are but Canon's first attempts at mirrorless. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Maria
Enthusiast
I’ve been tempted and also wondering about this being their first kick at the can but the question is how long before they make the next one?.... rumor has it that they are now working on a pro mirrorless - guessing that means something along the D1, and also working on more R lenses. If that is true it may be a year or two before the next version of the R is out ;(

@Maria wrote:
I’ve been tempted and also wondering about this being their first kick at the can but the question is how long before they make the next one?.... rumor has it that they are now working on a pro mirrorless - guessing that means something along the D1, and also working on more R lenses. If that is true it may be a year or two before the next version of the R is out ;(

Canon has had the mirrorless M series of cameras for several years now, but they are all APS-C sensor cameras.  The R series is Canon's first line of full frame mirrorless bodies.  The image quality out of the M bodies and M lenses is very good, and R bodies and RF lenses seem even better.  I have yet to try one.

With an Olympics coming in 2020, I would have expected Canon to have announced a professional grade, full frame mirrorless camera body by now.  Instead, they have announced a 1D Mark III is coming, which almost seems to be a hybrid of DSLR and mirrorless technologies.  The recently announced 90D is a very good camera, which curiously lacks a second card slot.

Canon has recently announced a third R series body, the astrophotography leaning Ra.  I would be surprised to see Canon release a professional R series body in early 2020.  Although this would be in time for the 2020 Olympics, the timing of such a release would miss the 2019 holiday season entirely.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Maria wrote:
......may be a year or two before the next version of the R is out ;(

That could be true.  All that means is another year with my DSLR.  I cannot justify buying a body that can only shoot upt to 560 pics on a single charge with ECO mode turned on.  I've got double that now and no ECO mode.  My screen shutting off every 10 sec would drive me nuts.  Turn it off and have to carry a bunch of extra batteries, no thanks.  They'll figure it out, and then I'll switch.  For the time being, I'm not stepping onto the mirrorless train. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

@Maria wrote:
......may be a year or two before the next version of the R is out ;(

That could be true.  All that means is another year with my DSLR.  I cannot justify buying a body that can only shoot upt to 560 pics on a single charge with ECO mode turned on.  I've got double that now and no ECO mode.  My screen shutting off every 10 sec would drive me nuts.  Turn it off and have to carry a bunch of extra batteries, no thanks.  They'll figure it out, and then I'll switch.  For the time being, I'm not stepping onto the mirrorless train. 

Not sure what you mean regarding the screen shutting off every 10 seconds.  I have image preview disabled, so no image pops up after every shot.  When I call up the menu or info screen they automatically shut off, too.  Do you mean Live View?

Astrokats
Apprentice

First post here, looking for some advice on a new camera. This seemed like a relevant thread, rather than starting a new one.

We're both photography enthusiasts (not pro, just a hobby) and I've always had Canon SLRs since the early '80s. I also still have an EOS-1 35mm and held out with film, long into the digital revolution (then wished I'd made the leap sooner). Our main camera is currently a T5i that we've had for a few years and we're looking to add a second, higher end body and some new lenses.

I started out researching the T7i and the 90D and then the mirrorless offerings. It's reminding me of the angst when deciding whether or not to go digital.

We don't shoot much sports or wildlife photography (unless our cats doing parkour on our furniture counts, LOL). Travel and family stuff, mostly.

What triggered this search was a wine tasting event I attended recently and I offered to take some pics for the hosts and was not thrilled with the results. The venue was a large room with low light and none of the pics, with or without flash looked great. When I went looking for a better flash, the one I liked the look of (Speedlite 470EX-AI) doesn't seem to be compatible with the T5i.

Also, as a techie, I'd prefer to get into newer tech and the fact that the T7i is now almost three years old tech does bother me. Hence, looking at the 90D. Then the low light issue had me looking at full format mirrorless...

Just thought I'd throw this out there and see what the experts think. At this point it's pretty much a case of settling on the 90D or going mirrorless. We're not hugely invested in lenses and it doesn't matter much anyway as this will be a second camera, not a replacement body.

Thanks!

@Astrokats wrote:

First post here, looking for some advice on a new camera. This seemed like a relevant thread, rather than starting a new one.

Thanks!

Actually, it would have been best if you had started your own thread, instead of hijacking someone else's thread.  Now, the original poster is probably getting email notifications about posts responding to your issue, instead of their own.  How would you feel if that happened to you?

THX

Wow, what a welcome. Don't worry, I won't be posting here again...

@Astrokats wrote:

Wow, what a welcome. Don't worry, I won't be posting here again...

Eh. You might just shake it off and consider sticking around a bit. There's a lot of knowledgeable people here and they're pretty generous with sharing their experience. Try starting your own thread and see what happens.

Announcements