Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Thinking About Returning to Canon!!

Hello Canon Users of Reddit! I'd like to ask for some input and advice on returning to using canon gear.

First of all, if this thread goes against the rules or is in the incorrect place, I'll delete it, and I apologize in advance.

I've been shooting with a Sony A7iii for nearly 18 months now. It's a beautiful camera that produces beautiful photos. However with school and work lately I haven't been shooting as much as I would like. When I do shoot, it's mostly landscapes and portraits.

In high school I shot with a 60D for a good 4 years. When I graduated, I felt that I wanted to get more serious and upgrade to full frame, in order to eventually get some better lenses as well. Ultimately though, the specs of the A7iii ended up swaying me towards sony.

What I've come to learn is that Sony glass is extremely expensive, and there isn't much of a market for third party or used gear to get stuff at a potentially cheaper rate, like with Canon glass. The A7iii also feels awkward in my hand, especially with the glass I have attached adding some front heavy weight to it. I also don't utilize the features of that camera enough (video predominantly). Like I said, I mostly shoot landscapes and portraits as a hobbyist- when I have time.

The wider variety of lenses, along with different options for buying used, and just the general affordability of canon glass compared to sony is my primary reason for switching back. I just can't justify, let alone afford, to spend 2 grand on a lens when I'm not going to fully utilize it.

Right now, where does Canon stand as far as its DSLR line compared to its mirror less line? The 6dm2 is selling at a decent price right now, and I'll be doing more research but I don't know much of Canon's mirrorless options. I would consider myself a hobbyist full frame photographer, and would love some advice on which body to look into. I greatly appreciate any help that can be offered.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thinking About Returning to Canon!!

The nice thing is that there are adapters for using EOS lenses on mirrorless cameras so if you go DSLR now, you can take the investment in glass with you to mirrorless.

Highlighted
VIP

Re: Thinking About Returning to Canon!!

"The wider variety of lenses, along with different options for buying used, and just the general affordability of canon glass compared to sony is my primary reason for switching back. I just can't justify, let alone afford, to spend 2 grand on a lens when I'm not going to fully utilize it."

The 6D2 is an excellent camera for enthusiasts and serious hobbyists.  Give it some L glass, and you will  get impressive results.  I suggest the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM.. Or, go for the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM.  Either is a great starter lens for a full frame body.  

I think having one really good lens is better than having two pretty decent lenses that add up to the same cost.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."