cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The timer issue

jaymack
Enthusiast

Just so you know, I started way back in 1969 and got a job at a TV station and first camera was a Leica, Needless to say I could never buy one but got a few Nikons.

So, I got a Canon 60D, which to my personal view, has way too much stuff. But I use only what I need.

But... I had the hardest time with the timer, the instructions aren't exactly right, of which I see a lot of instructions that sounds like a robot. It says to press Drive button, select and focus while keeping a loose finger on the shutter button. Then press down harder and the timer begins. But it rarely does for me.

So I finally realize that one has to focus with finger loosely on button until you press full button. And run fast to postion and click!

But what if I want to pose in the photo? It seems I can only slowly press then focus then press down button until focus is ready. . And run for the position I want to be in. So it seems that the focus is necessary to get the timer to time.

Is there a simpler way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks, I guess I'm just whining for the "old days".  I have great eyesight, but trying to see that miniscule icon takes some time.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@jaymack wrote:

Just so you know, I started way back in 1969 and got a job at a TV station and first camera was a Leica, Needless to say I could never buy one but got a few Nikons.

So, I got a Canon 60D, which to my personal view, has way too much stuff. But I use only what I need.

But... I had the hardest time with the timer, the instructions aren't exactly right, of which I see a lot of instructions that sounds like a robot. It says to press Drive button, select and focus while keeping a loose finger on the shutter button. Then press down harder and the timer begins. But it rarely does for me.

So I finally realize that one has to focus with finger loosely on button until you press full button. And run fast to postion and click!

But what if I want to pose in the photo? It seems I can only slowly press then focus then press down button until focus is ready. . And run for the position I want to be in. So it seems that the focus is necessary to get the timer to time.

Is there a simpler way?

Yes. If your 60D has an infrared receiver (My 50D doesn't, but most of my cameras do), then you can buy a hand-held IR trigger (It's about the size of a fingernail clipper) that lets you both focus and fire the shutter remotely.

As for the self-timer, any ST requires that you have the scene focused before you dart into it. But you can use the back button or set the focus manually; you don't have to do it the clumsy way you describe.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Or let the camera set the focus using the AF (assuming there something to focus on) & then switch it to MF for the shot.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks, I guess I'm just whining for the "old days".  I have great eyesight, but trying to see that miniscule icon takes some time.

Announcements