cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The thumbnails are all great, but the imported image is corrupt. Any recommendations?

chaswell
Apprentice

I did a shoot with a 7D and an 8GB Kingston Compact Flash Card. During the shoot, some shots would read "cannot playback image." After the shoot, I went to import as usual using my card reader and while all the thumbnails are in working condition, the images once imported into Lightroom, or just through Preview for that matter, are corrupt. They have blue/green/purple rectangles on the bottom half, or are missing data entirely. the missing portions are all large rectangels that smear across the image. I only use Mac, so data recovery programs like recuva won't work. 

This has never happened before. I hope to get these photos corrected. For clarity, the images show up as thumbnails, so they haven't been deleted or lost. I just can't import or enlarge the image. 

I hope someone can help. 

best

8 REPLIES 8

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Have you tested a different card and were you shooting RAW or JPEG?

Images get embedded thumbnails (it's not as if the camera is reading the whole image and then showing the scaled down thumbnail size -- the thumbnail is actually a separate image.) 

Test using a different card.  Also, what software are you using to view the images?  The corruption can happen anywhere... even on your computer.  Can any other computer open the images?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

PaulSoebekti
Enthusiast

Corruption of picture files during transfer to computer are mostly due to malfunctioning  of:

card reader or media card. I doubt it's the Kingston card, likely your reader.

Reboot your computer and transfer the pictures directly from camera to computer.

Hope this helps.

@PaulSoebekti wrote:

Corruption of picture files during transfer to computer are mostly due to malfunctioning  of:

card reader or media card. I doubt it's the Kingston card, likely your reader.

Not possibly, since he reported that the error messages started while he was still shooting! So it must be either the camera or the card. Odds favor it being the card.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

You're right Robert!

I stand corrected.

I also think it's a card problem (or maybe a bent pin) but this may have what you need to try a recovery operation.

http://www.transcend-info.com/Support/Software-4

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Can you recommend a good recovery program for a Mac?

The link I provided has a MAC version. I haven't used the Transcend software but have read that it's very good.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yup, card!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements